Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-12-2004   #11
aight, so im goin to mexico to surf kayak ... what exactly are the rules, I dont want my ass getting kicked by big drunk mexican surfers..... Later
Shane Spyker

spyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004   #12
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004   #13
I have been surfing since I was 10. The first thing you learn are the basic "rules" of right of way and who has priority to a wave. I might mess with friends on an uncrowded day but to drop in (and go left on a right hander no less. Steamers is a right point break with a few lefties of which that wave was not) in front of a motoring surfer who has had the wave for many yards is dumb. And no I would not have dropped in. Also, the warchild thing. I think you know better. Why no name with your post?
And Wycoloboater.... Surfing an ocean wave is different in that they are often few and far between and some waves are far better then others. When the counter is in, it's in. It may get better at certain levels but ocean waves rely on tides, swell, winds, bottom, etc.. The surfer closest to the peaK has priorityin the ocean. That is a fact and has no attitude with it. You however seem to be showing a bit though. Are you directing these "punk ass" or "gay" attitude comments at me?

Old 04-13-2004   #14
hobie you gay punk ass. let's go to barrel tomorrow after you do the weather.
willoughby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004   #15
ski/kayak bum
How many of you have had a texan (or front ranger) plow into you on the slopes, and then you proceeded to throw all of this dumbass's ski gear into the woods? Well, I know that I have. The anger was out of adrenaline. Texans (and front rangers) can hurt you. All because they haven't got a clue. Same goes for the ocean. Surfers get pissed because kayaks, other surf boards and paddles hurt. Plus, it is much easier to catch a wave in a kayak then it is on a surf board. If you are sharing a wave, then realize that you will probably get as many chances even if you give up the "right of way". The "storage" issue is good. They will be less likely to threaten you before you get in. An even better idea is to meet some surfers out of the water the night before or go with surfers who also paddle.

double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004   #16
pnw, Washington
So here we go with the "front ranger" attitude again. Jeez, give it a break. As far as throwing equipment into the woods, that would be very interesting to see. Jeez, Hobie makes one comment about surfing manners and now everyone is a BMF. Give me a break.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004   #17
Denver, Colorado

If that was the case, going left on a right hander, and dropping in before you when you had a better position, than he was at fault.
Loose the attitude though. How do you know it wasn't the guys first time paddling on the ocean, be a good rep and tell him about surfer etiquette. Todd is right, educate. If he does it again, then you and your posse can jump him on the beach.
LoopDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004   #18
I have no attitude here. I am simply showing why surfers have a hard time with kayakers in the line up. Not all kayakers as some do understand the way it works. Take Rusty Sage, John Grossman, and many others that paddle rivers and ocean but also know the etiquette. Yes, this dude dropped in going straight to left on a right hander that broke for a while down the cliffs. Did I whip him? No. Did I give him a good talking to in the line up? yes. And so do others that witnessed it. Also, I have a one inch scar about 3/4 of an inch from my right eye where his next air stroked and caught my head. Very deep and had it hit my eye would have been a very bad scene for me. And by the way, the dude even went out on the town with our group one night and I was very cool to him. Bottom line. Know what you are doing in a line up or surf where there is no crowd.

Old 04-13-2004   #19
steamboat, Colorado
I hope you taught him a lesson. That S.O.B.

ha ha

latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004   #20
Hey guys, I am an expat Aussie that moved to Colorado 3 years ago. I have finally decided to have a crack at WW kayaking this summer as a methadone equivalent for the ocean that I miss so much. (2 nights in the pool and I'm loving it already)

I don't know what surfing in the US is like compared to Aus, but back home there a few issues to think about. Basically there are two rules of thumb for who has right of way on the wave. The first is whoever is on the wave first has right of way - so if you see someone already on a wave, don't catch it - simple. The other is rule is, the closest to the curl of the wave has right of way - so if you and a surfer are paddling for the same wave and he is closer to the curl (i.e. the breaking part of the wave), then he has right of way.

But having said all that, basic manners must prevail particularly in relation to paddlers. A surfer on a short board essentially has to catch the wave at the point where it is starting to break - he has almost no momentum when padding a peice of foam that is less than 1inch thick and is sitting just below the surface of the water. He has to rely on the natural momentum of the wave to get him moving, so the take offs are very very late. A 10ft Malibu on the other hand can be up and riding on the swell of the wave before it even breaks. Then we have padlers which are at the extreme end of this - you are sitting on the suface of the water with a paddle to propel you - therefore you can be on the wave before a short board surfer has even started to paddle.

I have never seen a surf kayaker in the section of coast that I surfed, but surfers in general had a real problem with paddlers with the surge of surf-skis (aka goat boaters) in the 1980's. Surf skis allowed people who had never surfed before to get out into the lineup. The problem then occurred when they thay had far superior paddling power and were on waves before anyone else. So then it comes down to manners. You can paddle out into a crowded surf break, just show some common courtesy. When you get out into the lineup, have a look around see who is out there and wait your turn. i.e. Don't paddle out there and take the first wave and then paddle stragith back out and get another one - there are only so many waves and you need to share them around. I hope this makes sense as I seem to be rambing now.....

Bal is offline   Reply With Quote