Old 05-24-2007   #1
Why did they all have Jackson boats?

Last weekend at the Pine Creek put-in, I saw quite a few boaters use Jackson boats. I was surprised it was that much. Several of the boaters had an industry pressence. Some were from a kayak shop, others from a magazine.

Why did they all have Jackson boats? Jackson has good boats and use the better plastic, but others make good boats too. Is the plastic that important?

I was thinking that perhaps Jackson is so popular with the industry heavyweight people because Jackson does so much to promote the sport at many different levels. EJ and his team are more than great ambasadors and people who produces good teaching material. I'm impressed that the whole team comes to BV just to help the average boaters. There were several neat events where you could interact with and get individual tips from the Jackson team. That was pretty cool and I did get good info from these guys.

Doesn't Jackson also help fund some of the cool kayaking videos?

So, industry people like Jackson because they are doing so much to help grow the industry.

It seems like that is a good reason to buy Jackson boats if the team does so much to help the average boaters rather than just focus on the competitions.

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #2
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I've probably owned 20 boats since 1992, starting with a Corsica and now I have a Jackson All-Star and Riot Sniper (creeker). I've owned boats from Perception, Wavesport, Savage, Riot, New Wave and Jackson. The Jackson construction standards are far superior to the rest of the industry IMO (no holes = dry and no weak spots and the plastic is bomber), and the boats do perform well. On a hard play session (3 hours) at BV during paddle fest, I had a couple of spong fulls of water in my boat at the end - I could feel it come in through the spray skirt seam not the boat. In contrast, creeking up on Clear Creek of the Ark, I got more water in my Riot Sniper and wasn't even upside down and only in the creek for maybe 30 minutes. The outfitting is now awesome, the first generation lacked in outfitting, I must admit. The accessories such as the happy foot bag, the happy seat and the rodeo bladders are sweet and the stickers are cool.

How many other owners of kayaking companies even come close to EJ as an ambassador to the sport? I met EJ at Paddle Fest, he is humble and just a cool dude and kudos to every one of his team members. Ruth Gordon, Stephen Wright, Nick Troutman and Jay Kincaid were all way cool in helping out, Jason Craig is one of the coolest and humblest kids I've met, Emily and Dane rocked with the clinics, not enough can be said about this great team. It starts at the top and EJ is first rate and first class.

That is why you will continue to see my Jackson kayak at the put-in and take-out and why I'm replacing my Riot Sniper next season with a brand new Rocker. Rock on team Jackson!!!

This is not a paid endorsement.

TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #3
Amsterdam, Netherlands
this reaks of interactive advertising to me...
"I would drag my balls across broken glass just to hear her fart into a walkie talkie" -Jay Drury
tboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #4
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
The best marketing comes from...

COmpany owners who believe in and back up their products. EJ does that. He is humble and hugely excited about showing people his boats and what he has brought into the game with them.
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #5
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Nice words Basil and Tim,

Jackson is about as fun as it gets... I love working for the company and love the vibe that the paddlers are feeling about our efforts.

Something pretty funny though is how "uncool" Jackson really is. No hype, no punk hot shots, no real "coolness"... It's basically a group of paddlers... good ones at that, but just regular folks that love get'n after it. God only knows how "Cool" I am... HA I guess that's why I fit in perfectly here...

Thanks again for the kind words. We appreciate it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #6
Paddling Since: 1993
I agree, it has a lot to do with sponsorship and prodeals for shop workers, athletes and just about anyone else who has a connection. But don't forget that generally a lot of these people would be in a different boats if they did not like the designs and outfitting. Personally I find the new Allstar to be the best all around playboat I have ever paddled. However I am really starting to wonder about the quality of the new boats. Crosslink when allowed to cure correctly creates a superior molecular bond compared to HDPE. IT is also more expensive to work with and more hazardous (environmentalist be warned). I was so impressed with wavesports crosslink boats and the older Jackson's, but now I find this years boats to be less rigid. To be fair I am making this assumption based of of the limited number of boats I have seen this year, but in this limited sample number they just feel different.

So my question to those who are in the know is did Jackson change anything? Possibly plastics suppliers, outsource molding, pigment types or production specs?

I really like the company, what they stand for and the designs (the allstar rocks), so really I am just curious as a customer.
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #7
I decided about four years ago that I was shooting for a jackson. Met up with theCraw and Eric himself on Brown's canyon on just a random day. They had the whole crew out and Craw let me try out his boat while he stretched. Eric actually came out with me and gave me some pointers on squirts and tricks there above Zume Flume. Both Eric's kids were killing it, throwing tricks all thru the flume and jumping back in the bottommost hole for more. good people and spectacular boaters.

finally got my own fun last winter and it's been amazing. great hull speed, punches all sorts of things my riots didn't like, but still has such great edges it spins and squirts and all sorts of things I don't know the names of. the best thing is that I really trust it to be solid, I bought it as my single boat for playing in Boulder creek at 80cfs as well as running week long trips on IV water. no problem.

all my other boats have been a compromise, a crack here, comp weight there, pinchy toes and leaky as hell. paid more for the fun than all five boats I've owned rolled together, but it's worth it.

ok, done gushing.
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #8
Seattle, Washington
I decided a few months ago my next boat will be a Jackson. The company and their products are top notch. Keep it up!
Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #9
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
mrekid, I noticed that my boat seem a bit soft, too. Not sure what to think of it, I really only noticed it in the shop while buying it and it was sitting out back at CKS in the sun. Anyways, you've peaked my curiosity and when I get home I will be checking it out....maybe all it needed was a tumble down the numbers to fully cure. Regardless, I loved my new Jackson All-Star!! Just wish I was 20 years younger.
TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #10
Denver, Colorado
D) all of the above.

Good people, good product, good service.

I have one of the first Funs made. I hit every rock that I don't think will pin me (and a few that might); not a thin spot or oilcan yet.

Disclaimer: I am sponsored by Jackson (I have a free t-shirt and visor... and Craw gave me 2 Sierra Nevadas at the takout on Tuesday).

"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote