Old 05-30-2007   #41
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1492
Send a message via AIM to acetomato
I'm not telling you to go with Jackson (although I probably would) but if you do, I'd highly recommend the Rocker series over the Heros.

acetomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007   #42
I found this pod-cast of EJ describing his plastic and apologizing for issues with the mega-rocker:

I thought his point is valid about cross-link plastic being more environmentally friendly because the boats last longer.

I also like his comment
you want to hear it from the horse's mouth...... well I'm the horse

cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007   #43
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by acetomato View Post
I'm not telling you to go with Jackson (although I probably would) but if you do, I'd highly recommend the Rocker series over the Heros.
Excellent... thanks for the feedback. I was looking at the Rocker when I was in Hood River over the weekend and the boat is just Sweet. One question though... and I'll throw this out to the group as well... I learned in Pyranha Seven-0 and now have a 4Fun... how difficult is the transition to a displacement hull? Any suggestions, aside from just spending a ton of time paddling the thing to get used to it (I doubt my boss will appreciate my problem, but kayaking requires hard choices)...

Thanks in advance!

Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional
spartankayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007   #44
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I had 3 runs in the Mega Rocker coming straight out of a super star and was starting to feel more confident by the minute! It is a bit different but I think its a smooth transition!
PS: hand rolled the monster my first try
stumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #45
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Steve - I am one of the industry paddlers that you are refering to. I paddled for another company previously, but when the opportunity to paddle for Jackson came, I took it in a heart beat. Why? The first reason is definitely the boats. The outfitting on all the boats is the most comfortable on the market. One common mistake I see is that people are inflating the Sweet Cheeks bag instead of molding it to your buns and then taking the air out. This definitely makes a difference. The backband locks down tight and doesn't budge. The Rocker series has an internal strap to help you carry the boat and is invaluable on portages. The room in the bow of the Rockers is ridiculously easy to access through the trap door bulkhead for storage of overnight gear. It's so easy to get into that I generally carry my lunch and water up there during long day missions. As far as performance for the All-Stars, look at the results from Worlds or any other competition.

The second reason is the people behind the product. They're out paddling with you and your friends every day. The mission behind the company is for you to love paddling as much as the Jacksons do. If there is a problem, Jackson Kayak owns up to it and gets it fixed. There's no cloak and dagger garbage - instead you get a smile and laugh from Carman on the other end of the phone. Repeatedly local shop employees report that Jackson customer service is the best.

It doesn't suprise me to hear there were a lot of people paddling Jackson boats at a put-in. It will suprise me if you don't have a Jackson in your quiver soon.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #46
Fort Collins, Colorado
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
We had Mega-Rockers that were molded incorrectly (undercooked in the oven) and that has now been fixed. Punk Rockers and Rockers were done right except for a couple. We have had only 30 broken boats in the first three seasons out of 8,000 boats. If you want a boat that is bomber, we are building them. for those few unlucky people who got an undercooked Mega-Rocker, I appologize and we have sent them a new one already, cool!
I'm new to the sport, very new! I've only been out and tried to drown myself in the river twice so far, but I think this post is pretty incredible. My past two jobs have both been projects where I work in a public relations/customer facing/general bitching post position and only wish our project manager or business owner stood behind, and more importantly, stood up for our product this way. You won't find many occasions where someone in Mr. Jackson’s position would even admit there was a problem internally, much less to the public and his customer base! Granted it can be easier for smaller companies to stay close to their customers, but it's still really cool to see. I’m guessing you won’t find many board members or CEO’s from other companies on here, trolling Mountain Buzz with the likes of you sorry suckers.
Like I said I'm really new so I don't know jack from shit when it comes to kayak quality or performance yet, but seeing this would make me take a serious look at using his product.
Actually, I set in a Jackson that a friend had rented a couple weeks back. It was really comfortable...

Important Disclaimer - I'm currently a sponsored kayaker.
I kayak for SchittyBoat Hand-Me-Down Kayaks, where the team motto is "Does it float? Okay then quit your bitchin!!"
My wife is currently the CFO for SchittyBoat...
RenoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007   #47
303, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I am one of those people too!!!

I agree with Livingston.
Good people, good customer service, good products.

I met Devon Barker and EJ last year at the Teva Games and they were so helpful. Devon paddled with me at the Golden Community Rodeo and at Fibark, continuing to help me out. After she left town I got my cartwheel and loop, it was awesome!

I bought a 2fun and I also paddle a pink punk. The boats fit and are comfy.

Pretty much every female paddler I know paddles a Jackson, they are doing well with the ladies.

"I would lick it up if it weren't all glassified and on concrete"
CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote