Old 12-27-2004   #41
yeah, I agree... need to have a little faith and I was pretty hopeful at the bgeining of the year. Supposedly this drought is supposed to last 10 years.. and we are on the 8th or 9th years or something like that. With more people moving here I think water is going to become a bigger and bigger issue.

I am a fourth generation Coloradan and now it has reached the point where you have to leave by 5:45 in the morning to miss traffic to go skiing at the "resorts". I have been kayaking for 12 years and the way the sport is going in 10 years you are going to have to wait in line to run a river. I am not one of thos huge pro colorado native folks... ie like the people that have lived here for 10 years and all of a sudden have a colorado native sticker on their car. I am all for people moving here from cali or wherever, although I tend to favor the females coming from cali a little more This state has definitely changed a lot in the past 10 - 15 years. Curious as to how the next 10 years are going to be but something like Monanta that represents the old Colorado might be a better place to live.

zhensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004   #42
This part of the season doesn't matter as much as the february-April precip. That's the period that makes or breaks the Coloradon Basin and I am assuming the Platte as well. Here's a decent chart reflecting on slide 12 of this presentation.

You can also plot individual years here:

The physical difference in snow water equivalencey of only a couple of inches can make a huge difference percentage wise. Latter in the season, this isn't he case as average goes from 5 to 6 inches to somewhere in the neighborhood of 30. You've also got to take into account the elevation of the individual snowtel sites. Most of the lower zones aren't doing all that well, whereas the upper elevations have almost half of their season snowpack. PRPC2 -- Porphry creek -- is a pretty good example. These lower sites generally aren't the ones that give a decent indication for runoff on some of the more popular creeks.

Anyway. it's too early to know how the runoff's going to turn out. The rain in the San Juan basin from the remnants of Javier helped to fill up some of the soil tanks before the snow fell, and last summer was a pretty rainy one along the front range. Sit tight and do a little snowdance.

merry prankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004   #43
ok ok ok... good point... maybe I am being bitter guy here. I'm doing my snow dance..

zhensley is offline   Reply With Quote