Old 08-29-2007   #1
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Why Buy Used?

Sorry - but first I have to get all the dumb questions out of the way - before shyly plowing into my next lesson... Usually buying used is bad - why is it such a GOOD thing with Kayaks? Plus how is it possible that good & not destroyed kayaks are out there?
Finally - when looking at actually making the 'big' purchase - what do you look at when looking at a used kayak?

Thanks for the info - I truly appriceate it!

Just hit it straight & hit it hard ~
'Cuz that which doesn't kill us - makes us stronger...
Ice Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #2
No seas pendejo
Bonedale, Ra'do
Paddling Since: Nam
Send a message via AIM to Uncle B
Reduce, reuse, recycle. Its good to buy used because for one its WAY cheaper. THere are guys out there who buy a new boat every season. Leaving us not so rich and/or thrifty boaters the chance to pick up there relatively new boats.

salvation is in the mind, be mindful at all times
J. Kerouac
Uncle B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #3
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
A lot of people buy used because they are not sure about the sport yet so its less of a hit when they decide they hate it. When you are learning most people tend to swim a lot also and during these swims a boat can take a lot of abuse. Also the learning curve is really fast and you will go from just wanting to be on the water to "OK I want to throw ends now" or "I really like the look of that creeking stuff".

Good used boats are out there for the same reasons I listed above.

As far as what to look at: Oil canning, really bad creases, things that might suggest it had a bad pin, outfitting(which can always be fixed) basically things that might suggest abuse not just use!
Hope that helps!
stumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

Originally Posted by Ice Water View Post
Usually buying used is bad
Actually buying used can be a good thing in cars, motorcycles bicycles etc. Especially with things like Ebay and Craigslist available. But you have to be informed about what you are doing.

Buying a late model used car can save you literally thousands of $$$. I am a life long motorcyclist. I have not purchased a new motorcycle in 20 years. People get into these things on a whim and then when winter time comes making payments on something sitting in the garage is not palatable. Just as in boats the fall is the time to buy and spring is the time to sell. Kayaks are no different. I just started scanning craigslist everyday for the boats I had in mind. After only a few days, Bam there was my boat, lightly used for sale by a person needing money to return to school. I probably burned a couple hundred dollars doing demos prior to my purchase but at least I new what I wanted.

I got into the rig for about $400 less than retail. As the other poster said many people unload a perfectly good boat so they can get there hands on the latest rigs. When you compare kayaks to motorcycles,Skiing and high end bicycles this is one of the cheapest sports around.

My favorite story is when I purchased a motorcycle in the fall and road it through the cold weather ( I ride unless there is ice or snow). Then started back up riding in the spring. When the weather started getting really nice the seller called me back up and I sold it back to him for $100 more than what I bought it from him for.
possumturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #5
pnw, Washington
UncleB, you shopping gear swap again?
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #6
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Used deals are great. I got a whole beginners setup for $400 off of craigslist this spring including boat, skirt, paddle pfd, splash top, helmet, pogies, booties plus a couple other things. I have upgraded a lot of it already but at least it got me in at a low price point and now I know I'm going to stick with it.
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I buy used for almost everything. May as well, reduces waste, is cheaper. Why not buy used? I've never considered it a bad thing.

With kayaks, unlike some things (climbing ropes, helmets, ect.), it is pretty easy to see if they have been used vs abused. A lot of people sell used boats because they outgrew the boat they had, wanted something newer, had kids, all sorts of reasons, and you might pay maybe half as much for a used boat as a new one.

Look for oilcanning, broken broach bars/ grab handles (often from z-dragging a boat out of a pin), patched holes, missing screws (easy to fix). But the most common thing I've seen with people buying used boats is that they will settle for one that doesn't quite fit them if it is cheap. make sure the fit works.

Oopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Low Budget

Originally Posted by Oopps View Post
But the most common thing I've seen with people buying used boats is that they will settle for one that doesn't quite fit them if it is cheap. make sure the fit works.
Im on a low budget
Im on a low budget
Im not cheap, you understand
Im just a cut price person in a low budget land
Excuse my shoes they dont quite fit
Theyre a special offer and they hurt me a bit
Even my trousers are giving me pain
They were reduced in a sale so I shouldnt complain
They squeeze me so tight so I cant take no more
Theyre size 28 but I take 34
possumturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #9
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
drive away depreciation

Kayaks are made with about $50 of materials. Like a car, the moment it leaves the store it is worth less. Instantly they are worth about 50% less after being on the river and suffering instant scars most likely. And, like everything, it is supply and demand. Numerous manufacturers have entered the market over the past decade. Most have been merged into bigger and better capitalized conglomerates and economy of scale keeps the production churning. They are cranking out boats every year because they have taken the risk to want to manufacture and sell you one, ambitious marketing, a favorable demographic occurance, and the draw of play parks that have people intrigued and wanting to try the sport or try a new model. Used boats are plentiful and good conditions ones can be a great value.

Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote