Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-20-2010   #111
Mad Scientist/Creeker

Case in point, well placed, a little mistimed, still a great line right into the eddy. Low water. At higher water you probably want to get the timing and the placement just right.

Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #112
West slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: day1
that run is lame id rather run fish ford to duey bridge

West Slope Or Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #113
Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by RiverWrangler View Post
1st Falls is not benign by any stretch of the imagination however, the move is entirely makable every-time for a confident paddler. It's a class III entrance to a well placed and well timed boof.
I know Robby Dastin is a more confident paddler than most of the people chiming in here and it didn't go so well for him. And that was after it changed to what it currently looks like. Just show unplanned shit can happen to the best. Someone who was there, let me know if he wasn't pinned in there as bad as it was made out to be. Sure 90% of the time it goes smooth for a good paddler. 9.9% of the time it doesn't go smooth but the only thing that gets hurt is an ego. But 0.1% chance of ending up in Dastin's position is too much for me for a shitty little drop like that. Risk/reward ratio doesn't add up for me now that I have kids to think about. Kudos to those for whom it does.

BTW I'm not defending the original argument. I'd start running 1st falls again at any level before I'd ever consider running Gauley without a roll. Especially after the painful and sad week that this one was down there.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #114
just read this thing from start to finish... a thread like this just can't be skimmed over.

It just wouldn't be mtn buzz without the shit talking.
ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #115
West slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: day1
yeah ross tell these idiots to get off mountain buz
West Slope Or Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #116
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i lay awake every night and hope that maybe one day i can be in the same county as mr lee, and just being that close to the awesomeness will make me a better paddler and give me enuff confidence to do the milk run.......SOMEDAY.

and by the way, ive never swam in my ducky, ever. not even when im upside down
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #117
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Kind of getting thread jacked about 1st falls but Bruno it is no longer anything like what it first changed to When RD got pined in there. As RW said, when if first changed 10 years ago it was bad. the main change was loss of wood plugging the sieve on the right. The wood comes and goes and changes things a bit, but it seems to have steadily improved over the last few years. Hell, I might even start running it again before too long.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #118
Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Holy cow batman...

Roll or no roll (V), the one thing that makes this sport what it is... is how we are a team, yet how we have to make our own decisions and paddle the shite we choose to paddle... on our own... no matter whose holding the damn rope. Gettin' into each other's grille on past decisions is going define who you paddle with. I believe everyone who I paddle with makes good decisions, and I got their back after that. Those that can't make good decisions (in my book) are still at the put in when I leave... period.

Respect... Marty
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010   #119
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
So, do you have friends that let you paddle the UG with them, knowing you have no roll, or do you just sucker new folks into taking you along each time? 'Cause folks who knowingly allow you to tag along on that without a roll are NOT your friends.

I've fooled most of my friends into thinking I can roll, so many of them feel its of for me to join them

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010   #120
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Originally Posted by ednaout View Post
Okay in the time it took me to write my post there were 8 responses (including your above justification)....

Like I said, I haven't run Bailey or UG in a kayak but my own common sense tells me to strongly DISAGREE with you....Strongly. Keep it up right over there in WV, XTRAHEAT.
I'd agree. A fuck up on first falls has more consequences than your average swim on the upper gauley. Having ran both numerous times, I'd rather boggie board the upper gualey than mess up first falls.

With that said, most class 5 creeks are way more dangerous than anything on the upper Gauley. This is a retarded post, because there are plenty of people paddling the Gauley without a bombproof roll. Hell, if the word bombproof is even mentioned, the person doesn't have a bombproof roll. It's a mute point for good boaters.

In all honestly though, I think that first falls would claim more lives than the UG, if the population and number of runs were the same. As Evan noted, it's not a place to mess up. On the average class 5 creek, there are plenty of places where one doesn't want to mess up (Double Trouble, Cool World, Narrows at high water, Lake Creek, etc). Why is it ok to run these, but it's not ok to run first falls?

I still remember running blue angle style through first falls with the FoCo crew (one person was always walking it).. Such good times.

GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote