Old 04-26-2011   #1
Placerville, California
Paddling Since: 2010
Who's Got Year-Round Boating??

I'm considering moving away from northern California for graduate school. What other states/regions/cities have year-round boating? Because I can't go months on end without kayaking! Adopting a winter sport to combat the withdrawals is just not going to work...

kirbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Year-Round boating locations?

PacNW and Southeast locales seem to be the best

kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #3
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
You would only have to move north one or two states.
I live just 15 miles over the boarder in Or. and there is 365 days of year of boating around here.
Ashland's University (SOU) is small though, but lots of other school/city options as you head further north into Or./Wa.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #4
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Bring the sunshine
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #5
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Sunshine? That stuff hurts my eyes!

Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
Bring the sunshine
Another advantage to living a bit to the south, is quite a bit more sun. We've been getting a day or two a week, but still the wettest consecutive March and April recorded. Another advantage (some may think this is a disadvantage) for the sun starved is Ca. is just a hop, skip and a traffic jam away. Even got a Lower Deer Creek Ca. self-support in a week ago with sunny skies, temps in the upper 70's and great flows (yes! I'm gloating).
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #6
Hard pack, Utah
Paddling Since: 01
All depends on how cold you're willing to get. We run the Green and Colorado in Utah all year long
NWO Whiewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011   #7
Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Not really year round boatn' in CO

I had 9ish weeks without class IV-V this year living near Winter Park. The awesome powder season overaps perfectly. During the short off season you can hike your creek boat up the powder and go faster then you have ever gone before (good training for fast slides). Hucking your boat off cliffs in the snow is fun (great boof stroke training, keep your bow up). Not to mention ideal conditions for all winter activties. You can rest your shoulders and practice in the pool. Traveling in Dec and Jan is another way to get your fix. There are no schools here, although, it's not far from the big city.
~Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011   #8
Lost Almost, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2002
Northern New Mexico. Your choices are a bit limited, but the Rio Grande runs all year at least class III (Pilar/Racecourse), and often IV-V (Lower/Upper Taos Box). There's also the Rio Chama, Embudo, etc. UNM is only two hours away, and Salida (Arkansas River) is 4.5 or so hours.
utidcapaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011   #9
Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
From Pennsylvania all the way down south to GA most east coast boater can get out year round depending on rain and weather. For example, most of the river and creeks in PA have been running on and off all winter with the heavy rains. From mid - March to early November you also have a lot of scheduled whitewater releases to take advantage of.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011   #10
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by NWO Whiewater View Post
All depends on how cold you're willing to get. We run the Green and Colorado in Utah all year long
What section of the Colorado with rapids do you run all year? I thought the daily and Westwater froze over most years (at least they have the last few).

Green? Below Flaming Gorge? Deso and most other stretches freeze over. Unitah Basin is nasty cold during the winter. Not unusual to reach -20 to -30F during the winter.

That said, we run the San Juan pretty late in the year. Never been in during Dec. and Jan. though.

restrac2000 is online now   Reply With Quote