Old 04-28-2011   #31
Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Originally Posted by pretender
I've read the posts and the best answer to my mind is the first one. Really the NW or the SE is it for trulely year round boating in the USA.
Come on guys!, New Mexico, Colorado, Idaho, Arkansas??? 1 snow free run with 14 degree temps or banging down 100cfs does not equate to year round boating. Since you're already on the west coast take a drive up to Ashland, Eugene, Corvallis, Portland, Seattle and Bellingham and take a look. Of course living as I do in Ashland, I think it's a great place...and if SOU has a masters program in your field I'd check it out. Great town with an educated and active populace, world class live theater, Mtn. biking out the door, ski hill 12 miles from town and a class 3 and 4 boaters paradise (plus SOME class 5) In the high season (right now) there are at least 40 class 3 and four runs going within a 2.5 hour drive from my front door. And when the pickings are slim in late summer and fall, there's at least 10 runs to choose from as well, plus throw in a 36 mile wilderness overnighter that goes 24/7/365.
It's not all snow and sleet for four months either as most winter boating we do is on the Smith. I have memories of many sunshiney 60 degree Jan. NF Smith days (two this year)
Some of the rivers we paddle; Rogue, Umpqua, Klamath, Smith, Cal Salmon, Sacramento, Scott, McCloud and Trinity
BTW, I'm not a member of the Chamber of Commerce.
He is so right. I live in Medford witch is 15 min from Ashland. I would say to move some were in the rogue valley. There is so much to do and a great school (SOU). You go much further north and yes you do run into a little bit more of rain and I little longer winter. As for the southeast and all those other places I don't know much about it, I did live in Georgia for a few months and I am very glad that I live here in the pacific northwest.

Ladderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #32
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Originally Posted by kirbz View Post
I'm considering moving away from northern California for graduate school. What other states/regions/cities have year-round boating? Because I can't go months on end without kayaking! Adopting a winter sport to combat the withdrawals is just not going to work...
getting pretty serious about this whitewater lifestyle kira?

tango is offline   Reply With Quote