Old 04-27-2011   #21
pleasant valley, Maryland
Paddling Since: 1996
Year Round, WV

Take a look around Morgantown WV. Year round boating, too many runs to list are close to very close. Upper and lower Yough, cheat basin, big sandy creek, Tygart, New, Gauley, Blackwater, Red Creek, Deckers Creek, I better stop.

fuzzywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011   #22
welch, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1976
Ark (the state) has winter floating from Sept to late May. We have some very big water example Big piney Cossitot, Richland creek , beech, Lee and Frog . Those are just a few. We are having a really wet year and if you want to see some really good pic's go to Ark Canoe Club web site and view some nice nasty stuff

ranchman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011   #23
Year round boating...depends

Funny. Northern Cali has year round boating doesn't it? At least a solid 9 month season.

It really depends on what kind of boating you're looking for. The NW and SE are definitely the best bets for true year round variety and quality of boating. Culturally speaking, the NW will likely be the most compatible for you. It's a little colder, alot more wood, and much more brutal rocks. It's mostly rough pumice up here. However, there is always water somewhere.

The southeast has a variety of whitewater but there is a significant difference in culture and weather. It's really hot and humid for 6 months and much more conservative than Cali. I would take a trip before you move.

I would not overlook weather. People in OR boat year round but you have to deal with snow/sleet for 4 or more months out of the year. The conditions you have to endure to be a true year round boater in the Northwest aren't much different from Cali or even CO. I think it's time for a roadtrip.

If that's not in the cards then maybe use the trip seeker search on It will show you all of the trips for each state during specific seasons. You can get to it from the homepage.
bradgoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #24
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I've read the posts and the best answer to my mind is the first one. Really the NW or the SE is it for trulely year round boating in the USA.
Come on guys!, New Mexico, Colorado, Idaho, Arkansas??? 1 snow free run with 14 degree temps or banging down 100cfs does not equate to year round boating. Since you're already on the west coast take a drive up to Ashland, Eugene, Corvallis, Portland, Seattle and Bellingham and take a look. Of course living as I do in Ashland, I think it's a great place...and if SOU has a masters program in your field I'd check it out. Great town with an educated and active populace, world class live theater, Mtn. biking out the door, ski hill 12 miles from town and a class 3 and 4 boaters paradise (plus SOME class 5) In the high season (right now) there are at least 40 class 3 and four runs going within a 2.5 hour drive from my front door. And when the pickings are slim in late summer and fall, there's at least 10 runs to choose from as well, plus throw in a 36 mile wilderness overnighter that goes 24/7/365.
It's not all snow and sleet for four months either as most winter boating we do is on the Smith. I have memories of many sunshiney 60 degree Jan. NF Smith days (two this year)
Some of the rivers we paddle; Rogue, Umpqua, Klamath, Smith, Cal Salmon, Sacramento, Scott, McCloud and Trinity
BTW, I'm not a member of the Chamber of Commerce.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #25
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
bradgoet: Have you ever been to Asheville? It's often referred to as the San Francisco of the east and is hardly conservative.

I agree that the SE and NW are the only two viable options for legitimate year round paddling. Arkansas? Seriously? Either way you will be happy, but the SE definitely has nicer weather (if you like sunshine.) I think a lot of it depends on what you are getting your degree in. University of Tenessee is a well respected college and there is plenty of good boating near Knoxville. UNC Asheville is more of a hippy schoool, so I'm not sure what kind of masters programs they will have. Appalachian State has some good programs and there is lots of good whitewater near it, although Boone does get pretty chilly in the wintertime.
nervouswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #26
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
Wow...directly comparing Ashevegas to San Francisco ???

I couldn't even dream that up with my favorite PJ's and a glass of warm buttermilk.
Wear shoes in the Safety first, then teamwork.
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #27
Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
What states do you guys consider the SE? West Virginia, Maryland, PA? Folks are definetly paddling year-round all the way up to PA although these areas will freeze up more often. As one guy noted the area around Morgantown WV is pretty much ideal for close by year round paddling.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #28
moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 08
What are you studying? I am sure that your field of study is also an important consideration in this potential move...there are plenty of great schools that are close to whitewater, some of which could be year-round especially if you are a kayaker...

I am also considering going to grad school in the foreseeable future (taking 2 or 3 years off before I go back as I am just graduating with a BA this coming month!) finding a place where I want to end up spending a couple more years in school, that also has at least seasonal whitewater, is my first priority these days. I am looking back east, as well as the PNW...

A move east couldn't hurt- WVU has a lot of excellent graduate programs, and then you are close to all that the wild and wonderful state (as well as its ultra gorgeous and fun neighbor-states of MD and PA) has to offer. Of course, U of MD college park, Frostburg, Appalachia State, Pitt...all of these 'regional' schools are within a couple hours' driving...

but then again maybe I am partial, I am originally from the appalachian region

I believe there is also abundant WW further south, but I will let native paddlers explain those choices...!

At least you have plenty of options when it comes to balancing studies with plenty of big drops and least that's what I have to do in order to get through school! I
just because it's diet don't mean it's good for you!
junkshowriverchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #29
moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 08
I consider WV/MD/PA to be 'mid atlantic' or 'appalachian'...

But I am from that area, as well as a student of geography...
just because it's diet don't mean it's good for you!
junkshowriverchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #30
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
The Northwest has honest, easily accessible, year round boating, particularly in the Willamette Valley of Oregon. The actual answer to your question of "where to move" depends on what are you are going to University for.

For Oregon, at least, both of the major state schools offer excellent, year round, class III-IV paddling within an hour of home. UO (aka UC Eugene) is the better of the two for liberal arts, economics and business, while OSU shines at engineering and agriculture. If you are medically inclined, OHSU in Portland is your option.

UC Eugene or Corvallis () is a good choice for those from NorCal: the cost of living (low) + out of state tuition (not bad) is about equal to the the cost of in-state living (stupid) + in-state tuition (sorta low).

The division of topics is very similar in Washington, though WSU has an honestly good business program. UW in Seattle has paddling available, but due to its location in the heart of Seattle, it will take longer to get to your runs. WSU also has more of a drive to whitewater, but both schools have many options within two hours.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote