Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-24-2006   #11
Take the high road to NF Crystal, I think its Lost Trail Rd, which takes you towards Lead King Basin. It's non technical 4x4 driving. The other route is heinous. An Xterra would be fine, just don't let the first 1.5 miles of the road scare you. It gets easy after that.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #12
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Figured I'd mention that OBJ should be at med-low flow this year at that time. Also, run the big south for sure if it's going. One of the best runs in CO. With respect to Al, he's the only one I've heard of going into the gorge, especially the inner without a guide in recent years. That being said, I'd trust his judgement. When you gettin back here Al? We've been doing bailey laps like crazy for ya.

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #13
Yeah, I figured OBJ would be tapering off by that time. Just can't get out there earlier. I'm used to micro creekin', though. Did the Watauga, NC a couple weeks ago at 125 cfs. If there's enough water to float a boat, I'll do it.

As far as leading myself down the Gorge, it's probably not the best option for me. If I had a top notch crew, I'd be tempted, but I can't say that I do. Most likely, I'd split from my group and latch onto another for the day. I did self-lead down the Black Canyon, but it's much easier to scout I'm sure.
Curtis_Elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #14
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Originally Posted by Force
If you have balls the size if tiger woods then you'll have no problem dropping into the lower gorge in late june early july.
Loving the nod to Dan Bern- good times....
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #15
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If I recall correctly, you're the same guy who had to get rescued in the Black last year, now I read above that you had to request an evac after a bad run on Crystal Mill Falls. I realize both times that you weren't the guy in the accident, but sounds like your team needs to play its hand a little more conservatively. Accidents happen, but it looks bad on the whole community when outside rescue has to get involved. Have a fun summer, but play it safe, okay?
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #16

I was not "the guy who had to get rescued in the Black" last year. I was the guy who swam and hiked out so I could help a friend who shattered her ankle. Bit of a difference. The year prior, a guy in our group (not my trip), ran the falls in a boat that was not appropriate. In both of these cases, these were boaters that had much more experience than I did at the time. I did nothing to lead them into the situations they found themselves in. I only helped when they got into trouble.

I felt terrible in needing to ask for outside help with the Black Canyon situation. There was no other option, though. I have spent quite a bit of time and money getting trained in WFA, CPR, SRT, etc. Somtimes you just need more help.

As you will notice above, I am looking to split from my normal group for a day or two to do these runs. It's apparent that there's always one person that's not up to the task of what I want to run. So, I'm looking to meet up with another group for a couple days to boat the steeper runs with. I hope I don't sound like I have an ego about this, but my creekin' skills have surpassed many of my friends'. On one hand, it's a good feeling of accomplishment, and on the other, I now have a responsibility to make sure people don't get in over their heads. I realize after a couple bad incidents that I can't always trust even "veteran" boaters to know their limits.

I'm actually pretty conservative. I'm not one to bang down runs and roll up at the bottom. That's why I'm here seeing who might be willing to show me down some of your nice creeks. Hopefully I can break the stereotype that I may have created for myself. Have a good safe summer yourself.
Curtis_Elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #17
Boulder, Colorado
hey curtis, I paddled with you and slim and my brother on the chattooga section 4 a couple of years ago just wondering what dates you will be heading out to colorado.

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote