Old 01-29-2007   #11
Canon City, Colorado
other thoughts....

[color=darkred]i use an 80-200 2.8 lens...which serves me well. its fast, i shoot in continuous mode, auto focus. it allows me to zoom in from my perch on the numbers (i shoot kayakers from number 5...on the upper arkansas).
my distance starts furthest out at about 30 yards....

it depends on how much you want to crop in to zoom up on their upper body and how much background/scenery you want.

bryan's website is very good & he is quite knowledgeable.

just thought i'd toss in my two bits, since i enjoy photos as a part-time biz!

best regards,

Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007   #12
Leadvillian, Colorado
I mostly agree with the other posts, Leland's advice about getting the exposure right is dead on, and there has already been a lot of good info about lens size. One lesson I learned the tough way concerns the quality of the lens. I use the same Canon body you're using and I think the Canon name brand lenses are the way to go. It's a good idea to shop for the best price once you choose the lens you want, but I think the saying "you get what you pay for" is true with lens optics. And if you haven't noticed already there are a lot of irreputable online vendors out there. Some sell lenses for other markets, i.e. Asia, and won't have a warranty which I think is important considering your going to take it on the river. Good luck!

Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off