Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-10-2007   #21
We are still in the coffee/beer testing process with the books, and they should hold up well. We'll sign books at a few different events/parties around the state in May. More importantly we'll try to get you drunk and entertain you for a night. More to come on all of that.

Thanks for all of the support and props. Enjoy.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007   #22
Blinded by the light

My eyes are still blinded by the light preacher Cutch shone upon me the other night. The NEW TESTAMENT sucked the air from my lungs like RCRE.......anyhow, it's amazing! Nice work boys.

twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007   #23
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998

I just saw the sample pages. Looks like a great book that a lot of people will use. I'm wondering if there is any beta in this book on what rivers are raftable and not? I'm a rafter, not a kayaker. I pretty much know whats doable here in Colorado but I don't know much about other states. If I were not a Coloradoian, looking at the Black Canyon beta, I could think to come in with a 16 foot raft and do the whole thing. I don't know anything about Black Boxes in the San Rafael Swell and I do wonder if that is raftable? I'd assume so since it's a 41 mile run but...

Wanted to see if this book has something like that? The other book, CRCII has a beta where it says it's raftable or not.

By the way - How come you didn't include Idaho in this book? That'd be supercool!
BuckytheGREAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007   #24
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
uh - raftable is in the eyes of the beholder. dont let a guidebook tell you, but think about the volume and the gradient. then search your feelings and use the force.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007   #25
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
The Fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Evan, Kyle pages look great!! Once I find my plastic I am ordering. Hope your ready to score some goals tonight evan!

P the K
Paul the Kayaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007   #26
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
raftable is in the eyes of the beholder. dont let a guidebook tell you, but think about the volume and the gradient. then search your feelings and use the force.
Amen to that. It really helps if you were boating during the 2002 severe drought season - after that season I came to think just about anything's raftable... I remember looking in the guidebook and wishing I had their MINIMUM raftable flow to boat. Hell, the outfitters were taking rafts down Brown's at 250 cfs that summer.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007   #27
Denver, Colorado
Originally Posted by erdvm1 View Post
Livingston, You still boat???
Yeah, well I'm considering it! Been checking flows obsesively lately and planning trips in my mind for weeks. It's about time to strap the boats on the roof full time and go when the going is good. Last weekend left me unsatisfied with the 20s/30s in Kentucky, sounds like Craw got shut down in Tennessee as well... the cabin fever is peaking!
"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007   #28
I guess I'll post my response to keep this at the top of the page... free advertisement... Just put in my order, one more reason to get me stoked on my move back to Colorado in 08.
JRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007   #29
Mad Scientist/Creeker
Re Rafts: We did not specifically designate "raftable" runs because, as Mania pointed out, "raftable is in the eyes of the beholder." Many runs covered are suitable for oar-rigs and we include ALL of the desert floats in the region. An even wider set of runs are suitable for commercial type paddle rafting... and then there is an even wider group of runs that can *possibly* be rafted by the skilled and or deranged. Mania R2'd Vallecito with the man on the cover of the book (B.Higinbotham) why just last summer - but we can't recommend that. We present the runs - you decide if you want to raft them.

Re Idaho: A few runs in Idaho ARE covered - stuff in the Jackson/Driggs area (Teton, Bitch, Falls, Henry's Fork) and stuff close to Logan, Utah (Bear and Blackfoot). Idaho has so many runs on it's own that there was no way we could fit it in there... even though we would have liked to. Maybe in the next edition - which will probably have to come in separate volumes like the Lord of the Rings if we add any more runs to it.

Thanks to everybody who has pre-ordered the book and may the summer '07 adventure begin!
Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007   #30
After taking home the sample copy we have at CKS and reading it until 1 am on a work night all I can say is WOW!

This book is an amazing accomplishment! It will provide countless hours of reading entertainment, and inspire readers to seek adventures on runs all over the covered regions.

There is so much good content in there, including tons of runs in our own backyards that I had no idea existed. I am so excited to check these out this year.

Great layouts, photos, descriptions, stories, maps and the inclusion of more runs than any working man/woman could ever hope to paddle all add up to make this the most exiting river guide book I have ever seen.

And a $10 donation to AW for pre-booking? Cant beat that. Nice work Evan, Cutch and contributors.

Thanks for adding that extra bit of excitement to this upcoming season....and many more to come!

Meng is offline   Reply With Quote