Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-19-2012   #1
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Whitewater Kayaking in Georgia/NC this weekend?

I'm headed south for the holiday week/end and would like to do some kayaking, but I don't know how the water is currently. Trying to decide if it's worth it to fly my boat/gear home. Any suggestions? Just got my roll down at the end of the summer and itching to get out some more.

Carlie.colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #2
Bugtussle, Kentucky
Dry as a bone down here. Last weekend was the last Tallulah release for the year, and Ocoee is done as far as I know. The Russell Fork has been our go to all month with great flows but thats KY/VA border.
Nothing in the forecast shows promise anytime soon.

bjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #3
RDU, North Carolina
I concur with bjett. The only possible runs in NC run right now are

French Broad Sec 9...it's at 987cfs now, with a minimum of 700. At current level it's probably class 2+.

Nolichucky...currently 710cfs, which is the lowest I've run it. I've heard some people say it channelizes and can be run lower. Probably Class 3, be prepared for long shuttle and long/cold run.

If you are willing to drive to WV, looks like New River Gorge and Lower Gauley (III-IV) are running.
canyon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #4
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
When I used to live in Atlanta, I would boat the Chattooga year round...granted it is a bit on the lower side, go anyway....you'll love it! So beautiful and friendly....play all day! There is a good chance that you could just show up at the put in and meet up with someone, but you might have to wait a bit. Run Thrift's Ferry to Woodall Shoals but don't run Woodall Hole proper unless you can nail the line. The last time I swam was in Woodall....15 year ago.

I would fly my gear down (preferably with a break-down paddle) and borrow/rent a boat.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #5
Placerville, California
Paddling Since: 2010
Check Your Paddle as Skis

If you decide to take your own paddle and don't have a break-down, check it as skis. The airlines will only charge you normal baggage fees for skis versus $100+ for a paddle. Good thing they've never cared that I've gone skiing in Canada in August or Costa Rica or Chile in December!
kirbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #6
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Thanks guys! Great advice on checking my paddle as skis, as mine is not a breakdown. I may check out the Chattooga, as that is a bit closer to me. I'll be in Athens...(cough cough, go dawgs). Great info canyon 22, thanks! I know it will be on the colder side, but my gills are drying out

Carlie.colorado is offline   Reply With Quote