Old 06-30-2014   #1
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2002
Whitewater Kayak Questions

I've always done a float trip down the ohio river every fall and always borrowed a boat. Now I think it's time I buy a boat. I would really like to whitewater some so I was looking at the Karma from Jackson. Now I'm new to whitewater kayaks and was wondering if the Karma has a small storage compartment in the rear for small stuff (knife, flashlight, etc.). Also, would it be possible to paddle on the open water or would it be bad? I'm talking like slow moving open water like the ohio river or big bodies of water such as Lake Erie. Would the karma be ok for that or would I be better off buying an expedition kayak? Keep in mind I would really want to do some whitewater as well.

180baseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The Karma does not have a storage compartment, but plenty of room for several drybags in the stern to store gear. Whitewater boats are slow and do not track well on the flatwater, so while they work most people do not enjoy the experience. If you plan to do more flatwater maybe look at the Karma unlimited or the RG with the hatch and skeg. People are using those two for the grand and self support whitewater trips.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off