Old 05-18-2010   #1
Parker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Whitewater Kayak

I'm just getting into whitewater kayaking this summer and i need to know 1) what kind of boat is good to get and 2) what a good length of boat is good. I will be doing mostly long river running but I want something maneuverable as well. I want a boat that is a good middle ground and is dirt cheap. Suggestions?

ColoradoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005

Well, let's start with the search button...look around a little before your 1st post.

Check out this thread going right now: Hero or a Remix

Here are a couple others: Beginner Kayaker looking for a boat, Help!
new whitewater kayaker
and last but not least:
Beginner - where to start
and these have all been in just the last few months...

sorry for the attitude, but these questions get asked a lot...

that aside, welcome to the sport, and good luck!

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #3
Parker, Colorado
ok thanks man... and sorry about the post but i just kinda wanna know wat i should get... no need to be pissed off.. thanks
Old 05-18-2010   #4
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Don't mind him. There have been a few heated discussions going on and I'm sure he's just wound up.
Welcome and feel free to ask any questions you may have. Most of us won't give you a hard time, but be warned that there are a few buttheads on the buzz that don't know how to be polite and think they own the site. Please excuse them and don't hold it agains the rest of us.
You should check the gear forum and I'm sure you'll find all the equipment answers you are looking for. Also, you should hook up with a group like colorado whitewater. Check them out at Lessons are definitely worth the money. Be safe and I'll see you on the river!

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #5
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Remeber to get one with a wag bag system otherwise it'll get a little stinky, oh and make sure it has a t.p. holder.
If you need someone to carry your beer let me know.....
welcome to the river and have fun out there
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #6
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
A couple of questions
  • what's your height / weight?
  • Have you spent a lot of time around water? (surfing, swimming, etc)
  • Do you see yourself paddling for sightseeing the river, or do you want to eventually play on the features?
A lot depends on what you want out of it, then we can help you focus on a design that you can be happy with for more than one season. And the more likely you'll want to keep at it.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #7
Parker, Colorado
Hey thanks for all the tips guys I really appreciate it! I have wanted to do this for four or five years now and i'm so excited to get into it. And i have spent tons of time around water and am a strong swimmer. I'm 5'10" 160 lbs.. And i'll be doing it for the sport. So i'll be hitting features but probably not tricks just yet.
Old 05-18-2010   #8
Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Don't mind LindaMyers. He seems like a douche. Check out his gay pictures.

Anyway...check in with your local Kayak shop and see about signing up for a beginner class. A good Kayak shop will let you demo boats as you learn plus you can meet other people to boat with. For example Alpine Quest in Edwards and Glenwood offer a great beginner class and then you can join their paddle club where they basically let you use all of their gear. I know it's not in your area but I assume other kayak shops offer similiar programs. It is an amazing sport that may consume your life like it does mine (in a good way of course). Good luck and have fun.
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #9
Lakewood, Colorado
Confluence Kayaks in downtown Denver can hook you up with gear, lessons, and anything else you need. I'd recommend their lesson that involves some lake/pool time and river time to see if you like it and are comfortable with it before buying anything too expensive. Lots of people leave the sport right after starting because they just can't get comfortable in whitewater.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #10
Parker, Colorado
ok great thanks! i'll definitely check them out!