Old 04-09-2012   #21
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Originally Posted by Wiggins View Post
If I were to do it again I would get a Viper 11 or 12. Either would be fine for two or three day trips as long as you don't bring barrels to haul your gear.

Be aware of personal weight in selecting the length/size of boat. 11 or 12 would be way too small for me (stability compromised). I learned the hard way with a Dagger Impulse that was 12 and I struggled for years before finding out they weren't supposed to be so unstable (I weigh 260#). If you get an Outrage, they come in regular or X (for extra-large). I have a Dagger Genesis, which is on the large side (13).

openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #22
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
They are going to have Westfest in Idaho this year. There should be a ton of boats for you to demo there. Surfwarrior on Cboats is a Mohawk and Esquif dealer now. If there are any specific boats from them you want to try he could probably have them there.

Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #23
other side, of the mountain
Paddling Since: 1994
Yup and I have the nations first Big Dog dealership too. Ref the whole canoeing thing, here's an article I wrote about why I paddle an open boat.
Why I paddle an Open Boat
Team Esquif
Smurfwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #24
I have done a self-contained low flow Selway trip. I paddled the AZ Verde alone for five nights at high flows, see:
Hardly a Mirage - Paddling Arizona's Verde River |

The gear and food I take are a step up from what I do backpacking and I follow the river regs of carrying out my poo. I even take a few beers, but no cooler.

Securely stowed camp gear is just as effective as having a float bags in saving a canoe in an upset. It's density is much less than water. As stated, you do want to put heavy items in the middle.

An advantage of getting a 14' whitewater canoe is that it can be used for multiday solo or tandem day trips.

Originally Posted by openboat View Post
It can be done, yes, but not like a regular canoe trip where I can load a barge (but also limited to pretty placid water - like Ruby-Horsethief). Whitewater canoes are typically fitted with large bow and stern bags for flotation. Fill the boat with gear and you could become a lead weight. I have done a two-night trip with my WW canoe, and squeezed in a very small amount of gear, but it was the most minimalist trip I've ever done. I wouldn't even run a III with compromised flotation and a lot of gear.

cadster is offline   Reply With Quote