Old 11-12-2007   #1
White River Info, Please help

I have a friend who works for a envo. consulting company and he was trying to pay special attention to use white water users.

I have never boated the White River in Utah, near the Green, but was wondering if anyone knew if it required permits and what its typical season might be? If there any links or interest you'd want him to read to hopefully give it more substance or preservation, that would be awesome too.

Thanks for the input...

Also, Did anyone ever notice that when these big companies start construction and planning, that they have a bunch of highly paid individuals making sure everything sounds politically correct and washed over, etc. But, it doesn't seem like during public forums when the public has a chance to comment on the proposed actions, that the public has no idea what's going on (or no one shows up)? i.e., no one is getting paid to do the research and mobilize public involvement. I make maps for a living and would love to help mobilize movements if there is any way I can contribute. Sometimes a map (picture) is worth a 1,000 words. If anyone wants to start a new thread, or email me, etc, I would be willing to help out when and where I could. I have access to data, programs, etc. Basically what I'm getting at, is that these big companies usually have a lot more involvement in Public Relations then they let on, and that usually helps them with their cake walk when they build a pipeline over the Flaming Gorge, or put a Gold mine in the Back Country...

Alright, that's enough.

watahwatah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #2
white river

hey -

i did a float trip a couple or few years ago, just below rangely and above the confluence. we hit it in May to get the early runoff flow (1000 or so).

got all my info here:

White River

we took out above the indian land, but i remember something about permits required to take out on the reservation land.

good luck!

Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #3
East Jordan, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
Most people who run The White put in below Rangely as there are two canyon sections that stand out in terms of scenery. The first canyon begins immediately below Rangely and the second, which is often referred to as "Cowboy Canyon", begins below the Bonanza bridge. It's easy to run one or both of these canyons since there is a "ramp" at the Bonanza bridge. The take-out, which most folks now refer to as the Enron boat ramp, reflects the overall mindset and interest of The BLM in this area. Once you get below the Enron ramp you pretty much need to acquire a permit from The Ute Tribe, which shouldn't be too difficult. The most reasonable raft take-out on this lower stretch would probably be Sand Wash unless you had a motor and could go back upstream a couple of miles to the Ouray bridge once you were on the Green. If you were canoeing this stretch you could probably find other places to take out or paddle the few miles back up to the Ouray bridge. Sorry to ramble, I guess the reason why most people don't bother with the stretch below the Enron take out is because you need permits and the scenery consists of mostly Tamarisk & Russian Olive lined banks and flat water. There are some really nice Cottonwood groves though. As far as permits go for above the Tribal lands, you don't need any. I'd say that you can run The White down to flows of 500 quite reasonably too. The main drawbacks are the pipelines and oil wells, bugs, and flat water. I think there's one class two rapid between Rangely and The Green. Good Luck.
rm&p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #4
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
There is a "ramp" river left just before the White joins the Green. It's on tribal land past Ouray. If you're coming from US 40, cross the Green and then pull off the road on the first pull-out on the left after crossing the White. At low water it is about an 8' bank, at high water it is probably pretty manageable. Wear your bug spray. You will need a permit from the Utes.

I would agree that the only reason to do that stretch though is if you're continuing on down through Deso.

River Runners Transport outfits trips there:
"White River -- Colorado and Utah River Running. White water rafting and river running adventures. River trips also include Gates of Lodore, Lower Yampa River, Desolation Canyon and Gray Canyon and White River. Self-guided whitewater tours available is online now   Reply With Quote