Old 03-15-2006   #1
White River in CO Data?

Looking for data on the White River--Rangely to the Green Confluence. We are thinking of floating (rubber) this on the way to Deso/Grey in late May. I know its flat, and about 80 miles. Hows camping, etc? Any play worth bringing the plastic? Thx

tdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #2
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Its a beautiful float through sandstone canyons. You should have plenty of water in late May. Not the most pristine due to grazing and oil/gas but it should be a great lead in to Deso.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #3
Student, Paddling Guy
From Rangely you'll be in farmland for about 15 miles before it enters canyon. There is a small rapid at Cowboy Canyon (class I, II on a good day). The rest of the run is glass.

Launch downstream of Rangely to avoid a possibly low/ narrow bridge and the view of peoples backyards.

Camping isn't a problem, lots of open areas. Cowboy Canyon has a nice camp, and Goblin Valley is popular. I think most of the lower run is BLM so you can camp wherever.

Once you pass the Gas Wells takeout, you're on the Reservation. You will need to obtain a permit from the Res to paddle, take out, etc. I've never paddled below Gas Wells for that reason. That and I don't like my truck being broken into.
ericnyre is offline   Reply With Quote