Old 03-06-2007   #1
whistler BC boating in MAY.

I am going to whistler at the end of may for work. Anyone have any beta on some good III-IV action. I will only have a couple extra days, so I need some stuff that is pretty close and accessible. Also I would need to rent a boat up there.

ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #2
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
for roadside class III/IV close to whistler, check out:

the Cal-Cheak (South of town about 15 mins, just after the confluence of the Callaghan)
the upper Cheakamus (South of town about 15 mins; a step up from the Cal-Cheak; scout or put in below the first rapid; run laps on it)
the Soo (about 20 mins north of town; a step up from the Upper Cheak; BC class IV .. you've been warned)
the Green (just over the divide north of town .. never done it)

not sure what to tell you on boat rentals though.

ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #3
May is a bit early from my experience up there.

I live in WA and we usually start heading up to BC in June - July. Depending on where you are going to be in the area.

There is a Playspot I have heard about near Brandywine Falls which is just outside of Squamish and it is supposed to have a great looping ledge.

The Cal-Cheak is ok but you better make sure you don't miss the takeout. There is a class VI gorge that starts literally a few hundred feet from the takeout.

The Cheakamus is a great run that people do in playboats and creekers, It is going to be Roosting when you are up there so check it out before you jump on with a playboat.

The Soo is a classic I have heard about but not done.

The best run in that general area IMHO is the Callaghan. It is amazing. Great drops, almost no flatwater and wonderful views. It is a IV-V run and the crux is a section with two waterfalls and a little rapid between them. You can easily scout this section and if you are not boating on one day this is a pretty cool hike just to check out. In the summer and spring thier are more wild blueberries up there than you can shake a stick at so the hike is filling too!

If everything is too high when your up there another option are the runs closer to Vancouver which are more tame. Capilano etc...

Hope you have a good time!
theprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote