Old 05-03-2009   #1
While On the Narrows Subject....

It's the guy that most of you seem to hate. Just wanted to say a few things about my post the other day:

1. The reason I posted was because the Park Service asked me to inform the general boating public of the recent events and help prepare people for the difficulties in the Narrows. (I didn't post with the thought of trying to trash WWOTSR).

2. I personally wanted to inform the public of why the Narrows was shut down. I also wanted to let people know that it was only temporarily shut down. Hopefully it will always stay open in the future.

3. I would also like to see more information out on this run. I'm very happy to see that this run is listed in American Whitewater. I think the description was very well written too. One of the advantages of online information is that it's possible to provide the most up-to-date information to the boating community. By all means, one must still be cautious and scout when necessary, but I think it's nice when boaters are able to share a little info now and then.

As far as the Whitewater of the Southern Rockies goes, I think it's a great book. For this particular run, I believe that it's a little under-rated. However with more information out now, it's now possible to look at multiple sources to obtain as much info as possible. This is what I wanted to see happen. I respect the work of the authors, and I think they have contributed a lot of good information to the boating community. I regret saying that I thought the whole book was poorly written and I regret calling the authors arrogant. I apologize. It's a great collection of runs, and I enjoy reading it regularly.

cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #2
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Good of you to appologize. I don't think people here really "hate" anyone. It is easy for people to get worked up and when posting on these type of forums the message does not always come across as intended.

I imagine most people on here appreciate the appology and would actually be happy to give you advise, feedback, input (and some smack talk) in the future.

I hope you have a good season.

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #3
Golden, Colorado
Hey, cemartin.

I feel bad about coming down hard on you and your group in my posts. I got mad about your statements about the guide book and the guys who wrote it. I don't know them personally but I see them all the time and I like them. Kyle once pulled his truck over in Clear Creek Canyon to make sure that we had our yard sale under control.

I like watching them paddle because they are world class. They are all-around good guys and I saw red when you talked about them like that.

Anyways, I feel bad about the things I said. Sorry. God knows I've had enough shit shows of my own.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #4

I flamed you pretty hard in my post on the Narrows. I don't at all hate you. I also don't at all underestimate the seriousness of spending 2 extra nights in a box canyon, that is a very serious thing. The key to that run and the key to the Southern Rockies book is it is "the best Class 3 Expedition in this book, probably the country". It is in all aspects of the word an "expedition" which is really strange since it is only Class 3.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote