Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-02-2009   #1
San Diego, California
which Grand Canyon River outfitter should I use?

My private trip permit for the Grand Canyon (16 day trip) is finally here for the summer of 2009 . Any recommendations for which complete outfitter I should use or avoid (and reasons why)? Thanks in advance for the advice. We are a small group and will be using several rafts (from the outfitter) in addition to our own kayaks.

waterboy514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #2
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Use the search tool! No, just hassling a newbie. I just searched on moenkopi, who I will use when I need an outfitter again.

Recommendations for Grand private outfitters?

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #3
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
We just got back about 3 weeks ago. Used Moenkopi this time, had used PRO 3 times previous. Saved quite a bit of money, to be sure, and everything went fine. Brady is awesome, and if your group isn't huge, be sure to check in to using his "River House" thrown into the deal in Flagstaff. Nice place to shower up, regroup, and sleep the night of the day you get off. Highly recommend using as many of the pre-prepared 'Poor Boy' frozen and bagged meals, saves time and hassle. If you have big eaters in your group, it's worth increasing the amounts of the main item for dinners by at least one pound: we did and still ate every bit.
Seems like nothing is ever 100% perfect, no matter who you use, and it was the same with Moenkopi and with PRO. Minor stuff, tho, and nothing that would dissuade me from using either of them again.
We got a real competitive bid from Canyon REO, too, and had heard a lot of good things about them. In the end, it was the amount of time Brady spent on the phone with us before committing to him: he tried to cover every possible detail and option. That, and he threw in a 5th 18' Maravia fully outfitted for free. Hope this helps.
So many rivers, so little time..........
WyoPadlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #4
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Yeah, i think this has been asked a few times. It'll be 3 pages before ya know it.

Moenkopi is all you need.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #5
Flg, Az
Paddling Since: 1984
Brady at MOE!!!
relikpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #6
Canyon REO rocks!
eddyout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Moenkopi. Brady is the man.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Brady and Moenkoepi get my vote. I recently led a trip outfitted by his company and they did a very good job. The River House at the end of the trip was great - made the whole de-rig and end of trip process go very smoothly. Brady will do whatever it takes to make your trip work.
davedlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Ceba? Cieba? was real good to us this last March. They even had a "gluten" free food box! Scotr was the onwers name. Have a great ol' time! How could you not!!!???
"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #10
Eldorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990

For river runners by river runners. Brady and Craig are honest and the hardest workers you'll ever meet. Ask for the Cajun Boil at Lee's Ferry. That's Moenkopi Riverworks, call now, operators are standing by.

M-Train is offline   Reply With Quote