Old 10-15-2009   #21
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
That was going to be my next question, is the SPOT device reliable and how is the coverage. Randaddy, thanks for bring it up. Any information would help.
It's sweet. You can track, where a message is sent out every ten minutes, send "OK" messages, and call for help - either to 911 dispatch or to friends and family.

I tracked a trip for 800 miles through Lodore, Deso, Cat, and the Grand and every message got out fine.

It also comes with rescue insurance and works with Google maps.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009   #22
emergency communications

search NAV-COM Transceiver. these are radios used to communicate from the ground to passing airtcraft. In turn the aircraft can contact emergency personnel. for under $200 you can buy alittle security. check out

mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009   #23
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Originally Posted by mrkyak View Post
search NAV-COM Transceiver. these are radios used to communicate from the ground to passing airtcraft. In turn the aircraft can contact emergency personnel. for under $200 you can buy alittle security. check out
I like your thinking, but its like taking your cordless house phone to the grocery store with you. They work great around the house and backyard but the range is poor. An airliner traveling at 600+ miles per hour(10 miles per minute) at 35'000 ( 5 miles high), the low power hand held VHF transceivers will not work successively or reliably for communication with airliners. You would come in garbled at best and assuming they even had their number 3 radio turned to 121.5 with the volume up and not trying to talk the flight attendant's into going out drinking (sodas) with them on the over night, your call for help would have less than a 10% chance at best of being heard, not something you would want to rely on in a real emergency. Lets say I was in my slow flying helicopter and hear your may-day call for help (need more beer!!!) how would you direct me to your position, with no visual by either party? I know, pull your soup can size smoke grenade from your empty beer cooler. Just trying to be funny. I carry an Air-Ground radio myself. Just looking for a device with about 90%+ reliability at best price.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote