Old 11-11-2007   #1
Where would you move?

Once again the wife and I are deperate to get the hell out of NW Penn. With renewed vigor due to the deporable living standards in the armpit of the east, we have two options that may rear their pretty heads.

So from a paddling point of view where is a better place to live.
Placerville, CA or Kalispell, MT.

Your input could become a major influence in our final decision.

I want to make a better choice than "Any place but here."

farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1901
I can't really speak for Kalispell, but Placerville would be an incredible place to live, boating wise. You essentially live on the South Fork American, which has 20 miles of year-round class III and good play. Upstream is Slab Creek, a class V stretch which is currently being relicensed to (hopefully) have releases several weeks a year. There's Golden Gate above that, which is solid V-V+ in the spring, and oh yeah, the South Silver is a half hour drive from your back door. Not good enough? You're within an hour of the Wild and Scenic North Fork American (Chamberlain Falls, Giant Gap, Generation Gap, Royal Gorge - how big do you want to go?), and have good access to the Mokulumne, Consumnes, Stanislaus, Yuba, and are an easy drive down to the Touolumne to hit Cherry Creek which runs all summer long or the lower T, an excellent Class IV one or two day. Willing to go a bit further still? You'd be within 3 hours of the Kings and the Middle Feather, each offering quite possibly two of the best multi day self support trips in the country. Of course, I hear Montana has cows, so that could be cool, too.

cuzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007   #3
in the ditches, ......
Paddling Since: 1996
I've lived in Missoula, Bozeman and Cali. So do you like winters? - MT Do you have a big budget? -CA This all is arguable, but if i could choose, it would have to be Placerville. Just because the long Montana winters where brutal for me (a SW guy). But if you can hang with that, then you have some of the best paddling around, with TONS of options in MT.
The impossible is merely the undone. -CS
codyhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007   #4
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I just watched The Shining and the opening heli shots following Jack's car as he drives from Denver to Estes Park were really filmed in Glacier National Park and the scenery is incredible. Not far at all from Flathead region.

I am a fellow NW PA expatriot. I have felt your pain. Get out of there and never look back. I do miss all the greenery, though.

Go Stillers!
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007   #5
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
hi I am from NW PA long time ago and I would pick MT.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007   #6
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Honestly, if you are moving out west from a strictly paddling perspective, you should move to washington sate. Western Washington/Seattle probably has some of the best paddling, especially creeking in the country, not to mention what I would claim to be the longest boating season of any region in the US. This, combined with excellent spring playboating only 2 hours away on the Wenatchee all spring makes it an ideal place for a boater to live.

So in my opinion, the areas around Seattle, WA or Eugene, OR are your best bets for good long paddling seasons out west.
David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007   #7
BSOE-I think I remember reading you're from Venango County, PA. I don't know if you have Franklin or Oil City alliences (if any), but here's some Oil City footage from a game a couple weeks ago. You might find it humorous.

My wife and I live in Warren. That's right, the bung-hole of NW PA. Thanks for your input. Hopefully SYOTR, but not the Allegheny.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #8
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'm from kind of between Franklin and Oil City in Seneca. You need 10X mag to see it on the map. I hope Oil City lost whatever game that was. YouTube is blocked by the guvvy firewall so I can't check it out.

Warren is actually very pretty. It's nice up there with the reservoir and all. Not much to do outside that doesn't involve something with fur dying.

Move to MT.

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #9
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Mild Thread Hijacking

I am going to tag along on this thread - sorry for the slight diversion.

My wife and I live in Denver, but we're seriously thinking of moving. Frankly, boating and surfing are more appealing than skiing (gasp) to us now, and we're over winter

We're thinking of Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, and Charlston, because I need a city with good roots in finance-related industries.

What is the job market like in Placerville? Anyone? Anyone?

Other places we're forgetting? This is where the thread gets hijacked, sorry. . .
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #10
On Cali and Montana...

The things that you would probably like about NW Montana in comparison to Cali are changing fast. Kalispell/Glacier/Whitefish area is under MAJOR HIGH SPEED DEVELOPMENT with no end in sight. The area is quickly becoming homogenized with the good ol' mainstream American stripmall-style sweetness that we all love to hate. It will be a tourist trap meets retirement community meets suburban nightmare in the very near future with enough imitation authenticity to make Wall Drug blush. The area, of course, has plenty of great things to offer paddlers, and any outdoor enthusiast for that matter, but it may no longer be what you were expecting. Nothing gold can stay...
Season is much shorter for paddlin' but there are great runs all over the state and tons of excellent stuff in Alberta and BC(Don't let that border fool you into thinking the Canadian Rockies aren't right there) with very few paddlers in between. I prefer less crowds and more wilderness these days, but the better "whitewater" with the easiest accessibilty is clearly in Cali. The better quality of life, in my opinion, is still to be found in Montana. Which is why Californians still come here in droves....
Good l uck to you.

stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote