Old 11-13-2007   #11
Send a message via ICQ to northfwestg
cali or bust

well now farp, so ya wanna come to montucky where the paddlin season is three months long, glaciated water that never gets above 40 degrees, or class three, 8 solid months of winter,10 days of sun all ski season long, 1000 inches of snow, megatropolis slutpuppy of KALIHELL, bitch ass rich sister WHITEFISH next door and people who take shots at you during hunting season, hell no go on to cali where you can live that dream young lad, be safe choose cali, do it for your family...

northfwestg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #12
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
South Main

moabmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #13
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
This thread has already been pretty beaten to death but I'll pitch my 2 cents anyway.

Your two options are almost complete opposites. I haven't truely "lived" at either destination, but I had family that lived in Auburn and Folsom out in cali, which is only some 20-30 miles from Placerville. This part of the family is very outdoorsy, and after living out there some 20 or so years, they got fed up and moved to... Pinedale Wyoming. Which is not radically different from montucky, and they love it there. Both are great boating destinations, but it depends on what kind of boating you're looking for. The attitudes of people in the two destinations are also very different. In Cali, you're going to run into more of the "get the &$%# out of my way!" type, while Montucky is a lot more laid back.

If you're hoping for a year round work out creek, cali is more likely to give it to you than montucky (although oregon / washington state is even better). However, you will have to be tollerant of all the suburbia shit you have to drive through, usually traffic jammed, to get to said creek, and although there is boating to be had year round, in the winter you will still be confined to only a few dam release or low water runs, or face a long drive to the northern edge of the state where there is water that time of year. Even in Placerville, you may find yourself spending an incredable amount of time on the road just trying to get to the S. Fork American. I should say though that cali runs are of the highest quality though, once you get to them.

If you're looking for high adventure runs where griz outnumber the other paddlers on the runs, montucky is a better bet. Plus I think having Alberta / BC close at hand would be priceless. But you pay with a long winter. I'm tollerant of winter, and also a wilderness rat, so if I was faced with the choice, I'd give MT a whirl.

As for the development in Kalispell, unfortunately thats the scene all over the west at this point. Remember its California that set the bar for such shitty development. I love my family, eventhough they might have contributed. So the pace of destruction looks about like this

California = Thoroughly destroyed, but there's still a few rivers left to be dammed (N. Fork American?)
Colorado = well on its way to thorough destruction, Californians have been moving here in droves for 20 years now
Montana/Wyoming = Threatened Frontier - californians moving there for about 5 years.
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #14
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
From a paddling point of view, the central sierras would be a five star destination. There are really too many runs to list but check out a wet state, cacreeks, and caliproduct. Everything from Class III to however big you want to go. In a good year, there is natural water from December through June, plus dam releases, lots of them. And Northern Cali is only weekend drive away. Be forewarned, however, that the area will probably be full with people you don't like, it won't be as cool as it used to be, and "development" will completely destroy your ability to enjoy the kick-ass whitewater that surrounds you in every direction.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #15
mantana dont want you

well farp, just two days ago i was scoping a secret wave on public property near kalispell, and was shot at twice. If i were you i would stick to cali, you would rather deal with development and cali attitude than a double barrel. true story bra
Old 11-15-2007   #16
Seattle, Washington
Just get it over with and move to the PacNW. Ya, it's grey a lot during the winter but who cares, sunshine is overated when you know you can paddle on the weekend.

I can't decide what class V run I should paddle this Saturday, hmm...maybe Robe, Top Tye, Canyon Creek, Foss, Money since they'll all be running. And meanwhile, the snow is starting to pile up at the passes. Life is tough.
Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #17
Ozark Mountains, Arkansas
Send a message via AIM to JBradley

"South Main" can kiss it. That type of living is exactly what is wrong with this world. Reading the "stipulations of living" made me sick. C-U-L-T living! almost like the "perfect" town in Bigfish the movie.

JBradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #18
Awesome feedback. Thanks to all. While it's still rolling let me ask this. Let's say a person has a banged up shoulder (not me, just hypothetically) where's a better place to live. Which has better things to do other than boating (i.e. for the wife).

P.S. Somebody mentioned Pinedale, WY. I've done some fishing up there and that's one of the greatest places I've ever been. The west is the best.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #19
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

visual here.

Pinedale Wyoming and Sublette County Wyoming Webcams, Pinedale Online

downtown pinedale:
possumturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #20
sumthing to do in montucky

aint shit to do in mantana, watch the cows, avoid the meth,clean the trailer,occaisionally rent the vhs from the fried goods deli down near the unemployement office go home to the sun lamps cause there aint no sunshine up in this biatch, wish i were in cali