Old 09-01-2005   #1
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
where to surf kayak in southern cali

Im thinking of heading to some where between LA and San Diego during mid January with some friends and we are looking to try some surf kayaking. None of us have tried it before, so we need somewhere that wont trash us too bad. Anyone have some suggestions?

ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I don't know about San Diego, but in LA, check out Newport Beach, and Hermosa Beach. I was there this summer, and the surf was a little low. I hear that the winter time is the time to be there. Only downside, is if the beaches are crowded, the lifegaurds will shut down the beach to any hard plastic crafts, including surfboards. When I was out there this summer, Iand passed on the surf. But my buddy went our, and didn't have any trouble with the surfers. He said he went up to them and introduced himself, and they were cool. This was at Newport, but I hear that they can be a little more agro at Hermosa. As for San Diego, I hear that there are some good breaks, but some have a seriously agro local crowd. Have fun, and give us a trip report when you come back.

CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #3
Ridgway, Colorado
I would avoid Newport Beach for kayaking.....good surf, but too steep in my opinion for kayaking, and very crowded.

Go to San Onofre.......slow rollers, long rides....less crowded.
jwolters4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #4
ski/kayak bum
email me and i'll give you the low down and a few fav spots.

double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #5
Go to T-street in San Clemente....

I've surfed and kayaked surfed there many times. It's a great break and will have surfable waves even when it's flat everywhere else. The locals are nice and you can go down the beach to hit the smaller sets away from the best peaks if it's too big for your tastes.

brandonschmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #6
Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
Man don't waste your time down in L.A. with double asshole over there. Man head north a bit to Morro bay. Man it is the shit for kayak surf. If you have ever seen wehyakin they surf Morro in the cali section. That place is the shit. there is an undertow that you can ride out into the ocean so you don't get beat down paddling out, and the waves are fuckin sick. If you do your own thing and go big the surfers will leave you alone.
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #7
ski/kayak bum
yo kiddo,
i love you! you're so cute in your pic that you posted....look at those guns!
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #8
Hey the LA kayak surfers need to chime in

I may not be a fan of living in LA but while going to school here I make the best of it by surfing as often as possible. As for the Asshole statement, in my travels around the country, they exist everywhere!

Unless your at some little surf beach where some little punk and his friends have staked their claim, Surfing Etiquette and a little bit of skill is the same as river Etiquette and skill. If you cut someone off or don't pay attention then you deserve to get barked at, but if you are out there to enjoy the water and can do it with some skill then the boarders respect that and share.

This is the start of my 3rd year out here, so far I have only had one neg experance and that was in San diego County. I'm surfing somewhere from Santa Barbara to the OC at least once a week. Just come to surf.

So as to the where question. Where are you staying? LA, OC, San D. Are you camping or hoteling it... If this is a raod trip out of the car then San O mentioned earlier is sweet for the camp and surf, but it's hours from LA.

There are lots of options and I req checking the weather reports to see if there is a storm throwing its blessings at us. Storm south means hit the south facing beaches etc.

Enough for now, Email me with your dates and I can make some more suggestions.
mustangtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #9
San Diego and Frisco, CO
Yeah, the San Diego kayak surfers are a friendly lot. Drop me an e-mail and we can hook you up. Please come play kayak polo with us some night too!
'Mustang guy' from LA had it right, surf manners go a long way, ...but there are a few breaks I simply would avoid in a boat like WindnSea, (way aggro boarders).
San Onofre is very nice, check out my club's website, I think we have a link to the San O surfing web site, might be defunct but includes directions to the kayaker's break.

Kim J
kjohnson at
Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #10
So Cal

There are a few worthy spots in So Cal. Mostly off-shore breaks though. Drop me a line.

twitch is offline   Reply With Quote