Where to purchase River Runner - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-09-2016   #11

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
That looks like an end of summer sale on a stores demo boats. It's not a bad deal, and you do get a new model, but you probably can find 2nd hand boats for less. Though not likely a 2016 model. That's $70 cheaper than our local CCK was willing to part with their Demo boats.

Yeah so $729 and $160 shipping. $900 for a 2016 Jackson Zen. Id like a 2014 for like $500, but cant find any

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

A7X311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2016   #12

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
You should be able to find a more local shop to buy a demo from without the shipping. You might not get that boat, but there are other fine boats to buy. I'd rather buy a brand new boat than a $900 used boat.
bystander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
You should be able to find a more local shop to buy a demo from without the shipping. You might not get that boat, but there are other fine boats to buy. I'd rather buy a brand new boat than a $900 used boat.

I figured a new one would be $1200, so paying $900 for a 16' would save a little

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2016   #14

Steamboat, Colorado
Craigslist kayak in Philadelphia area and a bunch of cheap old school stuff comes up, but there's also a fun runner for $700.
Old 09-09-2016   #15

Steamboat, Colorado
Actually that's $600...
Try plugging different brands into your search... pyranha,Jackson, wavesport, etc...
What about stark moon kayaks? Don't know much about them but got a buddy from PA that gave us a bunch of their stickers.
Old 09-10-2016   #16

Bonner's Ferry, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
Boats

I would look at NPMB.com, the local message board for paddlers in the NE. There was a remix 69 and a mamba on there recently. I would also look at Mountain Man in Old Forge, NY. They usually have a good sized demo fleet they sell this time of year, a bit of a drive but good training for this sport and you can combine it with some ADK whitewater during Moosefest!
haysman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016   #17

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
The EZ

You asked what an EZ was. The EZ is a Wavesport developed by EJ as a play boat but is one of the greatest river runners ever. Unless you want a creek boat, this is a great learning boat that allows you to do tons of play moves while heading down the river. Still one of the best splatting boats ever.
It does everything. I've taken mine down the Grand twice. It's a blast. If you can get one cheap, buy it. The world's best thigh braces. Easy to roll. Even though I don't paddle it a lot, I'll never get rid of mine. I take it out every year and have a blast. Bought one for my husband as his first river running play boat. Super fun and you can use it until you decide if you want a play boat, creek boat or a bigger river runner.
jones boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones boater View Post
You asked what an EZ was. The EZ is a Wavesport developed by EJ as a play boat but is one of the greatest river runners ever. Unless you want a creek boat, this is a great learning boat that allows you to do tons of play moves while heading down the river. Still one of the best splatting boats ever.

It does everything. I've taken mine down the Grand twice. It's a blast. If you can get one cheap, buy it. The world's best thigh braces. Easy to roll. Even though I don't paddle it a lot, I'll never get rid of mine. I take it out every year and have a blast. Bought one for my husband as his first river running play boat. Super fun and you can use it until you decide if you want a play boat, creek boat or a bigger river runner.

Who is EJ? Would you prefer the Jackson Zen 65 or the Wavesport EZ? Seems that Jackson and Piranha are the best brands

Old 09-10-2016   #19

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Wavesport is no longer selling boats in the US so only older boats are available.
EJ is Eric Jackson ie Jackson Kayaks. He worked for Wavesport before starting Jackson.
Jackson outfitting--you either love it, tolerate it or hate it. I hate it. I've had a couple Jackson boats and sold them because of the outfitting.
The big 3 selling boats in the US today are Dagger, Pyranha and Jackson (not any order). Liquidlogic boats (Remix for you) are great. I have one, but they are sold directly to the customer and not in stores. A use Remix would be a great boat for you.
The Zen's first design had a squirrelly stern. No one liked it much. They redesigned the boat and more people do like it now.
Because your direction in WW boating most likely will change you should find a boat that will teach you a lot. Then you can pick a boat that is specific for what you want to do.
The EZ and Zen 65 aren't even close to comparable.
jones boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones boater View Post
Wavesport is no longer selling boats in the US so only older boats are available.

EJ is Eric Jackson ie Jackson Kayaks. He worked for Wavesport before starting Jackson.

Jackson outfitting--you either love it, tolerate it or hate it. I hate it. I've had a couple Jackson boats and sold them because of the outfitting.

The big 3 selling boats in the US today are Dagger, Pyranha and Jackson (not any order). Liquidlogic boats (Remix for you) are great. I have one, but they are sold directly to the customer and not in stores. A use Remix would be a great boat for you.

The Zen's first design had a squirrelly stern. No one liked it much. They redesigned the boat and more people do like it now.

Because your direction in WW boating most likely will change you should find a boat that will teach you a lot. Then you can pick a boat that is specific for what you want to do.

The EZ and Zen 65 aren't even close to comparable.

Wow great answer! Appreciate it. I need to sit in multiple kayaks before deciding. Just seems that shops are few and far between. Closest dealer to me, which is only Jackson, is NE Kayak School. Thats actually where I took my 2 day course. I may drive up to Mountain Man in Old Forge NY to figure out which is best. 5 hour drive, but worth it