Old 07-06-2010   #1
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Where to paddle when the water drops

Are there any rivers in Colorado or neighboring states that run year round? Maybe I'm just in denial because the water is dropping.

smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010   #2
Send a message via AIM to damax101
Gore is in and the Colorado flows pretty much year round; Shoshone, West Water ect... There are also several dam controlled runs to keep an eye out for. The Lower Blue usually gets some good fall releases, and if Denver starts sucking water through the tunnel check out some of the South Platte runs.

damax101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010   #3
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
The Big T is on right now and I'm looking for someone to run?

gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
December and Jan can be tough, but oftentimes Shoshone or Westwater is in play. I often go to Gore until the beginning of November and you can get back on it in the spring mid-late March. Also the Royal Gorge on the Ark is often accessible as early as Feb. You can run slalom gates in Denver pretty much all winter long, if you just want to stay in shape. The best solution is to go to Ecuador or somewhere in South America and you'll forget all about cold dark days and low water.

Personally I embrace the winter, hit up a couple pool roll sessions and wait until the days are longer and the snow starts to melt.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010   #5
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Gannon... I'm down for a Big T run tomorrow. I'll give you a call.
hojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
September, October and into November are fun times to run Royal Gorge. Never in my seven years in Colorado has it been too low to paddle - it goes at 269 (my personal low), and there's very rarely less than 350 in there. (Sunshine is nasty at that flow).
The only thing that keeps Royal G from being a year-rounder is the possibility of major ice bridges in December, January and February.
It's really the same story on Gore. That run is honestly very fun at 450. You just have to watch for major ice in the middle of winter.

Bailey is at a great water level right now. I ran that into September last year. It's still fun as low as 200.
The Parkdale section of the Ark has some decent play spots when the flow is in the 300s, and it almost never drops below that. Usually it doesn't ice over. So you can do a nine-mile run with some decent play in December and January.
I ran Brown's Canyon in the 300s a couple times in January of 09, and that was reasonably fun.

When all that is iced over, head a couple more hours south to Taos and run the Racecourse section in January. Some nice little surf waves in there at low flow, and it is pretty much year-round.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010   #7
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
this is all great information thanks a bunch, btw I checked out the Royal Gorge on eddyflower, there is a video at the bottom of the run description that has some of the sloppiest/most entertaining paddling I have seen, check it out for a good laugh.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010   #8
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
last fall we ran the Numbers until Thanksgiving.

2 runs on Rincon in Jan...just to get on the water.

as stated before Racecourse boats in Jan/Feb...

by Feb you can head to AZ...

and it's spring again!

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote

low water