Old 05-02-2012   #1
Jackson, Wyoming
Where to paddle next week?

So I'm done with school next Monday, and think its time to take off for a few days and relax. Problem is, don't have anyone to go with. Where I go will probably depend a lot on weather and flows, but as far as finding people to paddle with, where is a good bet (assuming during the week, this becomes easier on the weekend)? How much traffic on something like the Moab daily this time of year? Around Glenwood?

Pretty much wherever I go will be new to me, as I just recently got into WW Kayaking. General area I'm thinking of is to head south from Green River, WY through Vernal in the general direction of Moab, then east. Will probably try to end up on the Poudre and/or Northgate the weekend of the 12th depending on flows and people to paddle with. Want to paddle class II-III+ (If I can find solid boaters), and will have a bike along as well. Thinking I'll probably ride around Fruita, and Moab if I get that far south, and whatever else is dry.

Used to solo adventures, but paddling doesn't work that well solo.

wyosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #2
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997

This reply is assuming your a kayaker...

The Poudre is currently experiencing an earlier-then-normal run-off and at this rate will be a short season. No one is clear on exactly what the Poudre is going to do this year, but it's a good bet that next week, most sections will be runnable. The Poudre is a fantastic river, not only for white water but for meeting locals at the take-out and jumping in with them.

Check out the guide book on the Poudre. The two take-outs you shoudl know about are these:

Picnic Rock is the take-out for the Filter Plant run, the milk run on the Poudre. Picnic Rock is a great place to meet local boaters wanting to run Filter Plant.

Bridges Take-Out (BTO) is the take-out for the Bridges run (naturally) and is also the meeting place for most all of the upper runs.

If you went to either Picnic Rock or BTO, chances are you could find others to paddle with.

GearDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #3
Jackson, Wyoming
Thanks for the info- yeah, Kayak, guess I should have clarified that. Pretty sure I'll be down there for the weekend, even if I scrub the trip south.

Another question for that area- is there enough snow on CP to be worth bringing touring gear? I just had a vision of skiing corn in the morning and paddling in the afternoon. Guess that puts me back where I started- not having a partner on this trip.
wyosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
There "may" be some turns you could get in, but most likely it would require some hiking to get to. I don't have an accurate snow/ski report for CP, sorry, I just know the snow % is extremely low and it's going to be a short season on the Poudre. Best get on the Poudre while you can.

GearDog is offline   Reply With Quote