Old 02-05-2007   #11
oh yeah
i'll chime in since i was in a similar situation. orginally moved to colorado and lived at the afore mentioned ski area at st. mary's. beautiful but wicked in the winter. i don't mind snow but the drifts got crazy (daily post-holeing to the front door). next, moved to golden for just under a year. great town with access to the city. good boating but we left in the summer. gotta deal with ALL of I-70 to ski/ride. next, bought a place in empire back up in clear creek county. cold winters, but not as bad as st. mary's. pretty stagnant town so prices are cheap. boating was killer; gore ~an hour and bailey the same. these two can extend the season from may through october. also, clear creek was out the door (literally, upper and lower (shh) west fork of the clear creek) and boulder's 'bout an hour, denver's 'bout an hour, vail's 'bout an hour. back country skiing at jone's and berthoud passes. but, we drove, a lot. i worked in vail during all of the mentioned places; still do. what drove us south? I-70. it's nuts and getting worse. you learn to deal w/ it. don't drive west on friday and don't drive east on sunday. the upside is that you have a head start on the traffic going west and can "cut out" before the worst of it going east. but traffic sucks. and summit county's played and getting more played. so, we moved to salida. cool town w/ out traffic. older population. less driving. but you gotta work. the $1000 question down here is what do you do for work? like i said i work in vail and my wife has clients in denver and beyond and works out of the house.
long winded. if you need to be closer to the city maybe try 285 south of denver, like conifer, aspen park, bailey, etc. maybe. i wouldn't go too far north from buena vista, pretty rural. leadville, weird vibe and cold at 10,000 ft. do you have kids? is gunnison affordable? lot's of growth in pagosa or south fork. maybe west of eagle and east of glenwood off I-70? redcliff's a deep hole in the ground w/ out sun. george town's similar. there's another i've got my eye on but i can't give you all the answers! let me know if you find yourself down south this summer to boat.

danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007   #12
Whitewater Boater, Boating Whitewater
Paddling Since: 2004
Thanks for the input. BV is sounding/pricing pretty good but I'll keep looking. Chime up anytime.

I will be there in late may-early june and will post looking for folks to plunge with...

yakrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007   #13
, Colorado
Land in the San Louis Valley is super cheap places off the grid that will likely not see a power line in our lifetime. My mom bought 10 acres down there for $10k. Might not be as close to a town as you want, but you're sure to be left alone. I would also look into Montana and Wyoming. I've heard stories that Big Sky Montana is in a similar situation that Vail was many years ago...relatively affordable realestate/land but prices rising fast, therefore a good investment opportunity. I also like the area around Red Lodge, MT. Tons of hiking trails, you don't have the crowds of CO, tons of boating in MT, Idaho, Northern Wyo, day's drive to CO, etc.
IkayakNboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007   #14
No seas pendejo
Bonedale, Ra'do
Paddling Since: Nam
Send a message via AIM to Uncle B
Check out Redstone, its about 15-20mins outside of Carbondale. Beautiful little town with a nice vibe. Quality rivers close by as well as great hiking, climbing, and biking. Definitly more affordable than Carbondal and Basalt. Good Luck
salvation is in the mind, be mindful at all times
J. Kerouac
Uncle B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #15
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Tennessee Pass has some cool land, some is off-grid. It's between Red Cliff and Leadville. Access to the Eagle drainage, Homestake, Arkansas is all within 1 hour or less.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #16
, Colorado
I've never priced property in Redstone, but I'm with Uncle B if it is's one of the most beautiful areas I have ever seen, next to one of the most beutiful little rivers I've ever seen (the Crystal), and is home to an amazing historic hotel and "castle". I'm sure you can find tons of pictures on-line of Redstone and Marble and the Crystal...but this might be a starting point: (I've stayed in the hotel, and it was the only Redstone link that popped in my mind)
IkayakNboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #17
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
My wife and I have lived all over the mountain areas for the past 15-20 years. We currently live in Leadville. Again we have lived in Eagle, Grand, and Summit counties. For us it has worked well. We both work in Summit county, and raft,ski, bike, hike etc. The stigma that Leadville endured in years past has only kept prices in check, even though we have 7 ski areas, 2 world class rivers and countless trails all within 40 mins from our front door. Our neighborhood has two oil and gas execs, ski area employees, school teachers, electricians. Our house is 4 yrs old, has amazing views and a two car garage. The cat is getting out of the bag that our weather is actually not as severe as Summit or Grand. If that sounds interesting let me know. Our last kid has left the nest..WOOOHOOO, and we are downsizing.
robatnordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007   #18
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Just don't move to...

Deer Trail
or that little funky town before you enter Oklahoma..Campo, Colorado
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007   #19
Check out Sylvan Lakes development between Red Cliff and Leadville. It may be right up your alley. Red Cliff is great. I have lived in Red Cliff for 6 years.No Acreage though. Half hour to I-70, In construction you will be working in the Cordillera-Vail area and the commute is beautiful. New development going in on Battle Mountain Pass that I am sure will need framers. Hiking,biking, climbing and boating(although it is ClassV) right out your door. Great neighbors. Quick commute to the Ark and the Eagle. Anyhow, This entire state is fantastic and you can't go wrong anywhere.
fishbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #20
Whitewater Boater, Boating Whitewater
Paddling Since: 2004
And the winner is...

someplace that no one mentioned but seemed the clear winner to me after walking 100's of lots corner to four corners...

South Park...11,200' baby.

We are pumped!

Beautifull, private, near lots of shit, cheap, and much growth potential.

yakrafter is offline   Reply With Quote