Old 10-09-2009   #11
Kent, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
From a native's point of view - Seattle is cool except for the traffic. The traffic here is BAD. And it won't get better any time soon. Provided you can tolerate rain in the winter, other than the traffic it is OK. Portland is good too with less although not optimum traffic. From a skiing point of view I would go with Seattle. Crystal Mountain is way better than Mt Hood Meadows and you are closer to Whistler which out shines Mt Bachelor as a weekend away kind of skiing experience. Both cities are close to really good water for paddling so I would rate them equal there.

Hope that helps.

Mike Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #12
on the water, jersey
Paddling Since: 2008
If you are not thinking west specifically, you could try the east coast. Pittsburgh is near the Yough River (Upper is awesome), and it's in the beginning of a renewal. You are also not that far from the Cheat River in West Virginia, as well as a few others. There's skiing too, obviously. Good luck.

waterratNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #13
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Nurse right? Why pick just one? I just started a bit of a trip with my traveling-nurse-fiancée. We bought an RV and we are planning a couple of years going from place to place... Visit ALL of the above and in season.
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #14
Boise, Idaho
Boise is pretty cool and has a super long season. I do believe we paddled NF together. I'm an ICU nurse here and it's a sweet gig. Tons of paddling within 3 hours, yet all big water. Hood River is 5 hours for real deal creekboating. Resort skiing so so...backcounty is quite nice with a much more stable snowpack than CO on average.
ID Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009   #15
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Dude, Seattle in winter=Mt Baker('mong others)
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009   #16
Front Range, "Beautiful Colorado"
Paddling Since: 1996
If boating and creeks are something you like. Try the great lakes and NE area of the country. It seems to me that when the massive ice wall glacier that receeded billions of years ago happened it created most the geology of the country they left amazing waterways that have massive waterfalls and huge cfs. Canada with the magpie and Rogue (7 sisters) ottawa need I say more. NY with the moose raquette beaver borreaus hell just get the gude book. Vermont Pennsylvannia Maine NH. everything is just a very short days trip away. Boating all season and decent sking. lift serve sucks in the NE but the easy access to great trail systems in the mtns allow for esasy backcountry experiences with low Avy issues. Just check out phelps mtn and the birch trees off the back side on the peak. great tour day that mtn.

The only big down fall is the weather and bugs. well and the population density too, but the boating is sick and the sking is fair.
" ...this is the hardest sport I've ever tried!!",E. Brown, 2003
jboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009   #17
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Nothing to see or do in Boise, move along

Boise, what a terrible place to live. Not only do you have to walk to the good mountain biking that's like a block out of town, but the ski area is open 'til 10 every night in the winter and lights up the whole damn valley. Yeah and the dry snow, what's up with that? How am I going to build a sweet jump with a pile of dry fluff? The real estate is not that expensive, so you're not going to be able to cash in on the flip and dip. And the whitewater park isn't going to be built until at least this spring. Garbage...

Of course, you know the Payettes have too much water all damn season. The mank doesn't come out until at least October. And can you believe that there are runs all over this state that are so remote that you have to carry a sleeping bag in your kayak? Build some damn roads, Idablow. And besides all that you are only a like twelve hours closer to Cali and the Gorge than in Colorado. Please move to Hood River and post a picture when you run Metlako so all the Idaho peeps can see what some real paddling is like. Why do I insist on living in such a whitewater no-man's land?
"A river is more than an amenity, it is a treasure."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes writing for the majority in New Jersey v. New York
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009   #18
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Good VA's in San Diego, San Francisco, Portland and Seattle. . . Well I guess Portland and Seattle could be combined. You know your status yet?

Originally Posted by JCKeck1 View Post
So it looks like there is a good chance of me tragically leaving CO in the next few years, but I get to pick almost any decent sized city in the states. Anyone got recommendations? Looking for good access to skiing and of course class V paddling. Seattle might be the ticket, but I am worried about the winter...

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009   #19
Professional Transient, See above.
South east has it's benefits.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything in the Southeast like Asheville, Chattanooga, or stuff in Alabama.

Linville gorge, green river narrows, raven fork, toxaway, road prong, bear... plenty of sieve filled creeky classics.

All rain run off or damn release though, so winter is typically best, though there is boating there all year.
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009   #20
Seattle, Washington
I think you're familiar enough with the PNW to know your options boating wise so I won't comment on that aspect.

As far as bigger cities go near good skiing and boating, Seattle is about as good as it gets. Seattle is a notch cooler and grayer than Portland, but not by much. Our economy is hands down better than Portland but I don't think that should affect your job outlook too much. My wife did some rotations through the VA here and said it was decent as far as VA's go.

The city is way prettier than Portland and is surrounded by big mountains, not like the flat hills near Portland. Hence, the skiing isn't even comparable unless your into park skiing in August. If you live close to where you work, then traffic isn't as much of an issue. We live in North Seattle and the VA was the furthest hospital away that she worked at and I still think it only took about 25 minutes. Housing is expensive here....still and probably at least 10-15% over Denver. Portland is similar or slightly less than Denver.

Portland is probably a little cozier and there is a much bigger paddling scene down there for sure, not even close really. Technically, all the good paddling is in Washington, but you probably already know that. I could easily live in Portland, but I like to have big mountains nearby and scenery and Seattle delivers in that area.

Who knows, if you move here, maybe TRL will let you post in their blog.

Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote