Old 03-13-2010   #1
where to go? surf and tropical beaches

Yo Buzzrads
My wife and I want to take a beach vacation in mid April. Finding a location to satisfy both of our wants is tricky. I’m looking for surf - good, friendly intermediate surf. She’s looking for great beaches with calm, clear, tropical, carribean-esque water for relaxing swimming and good snorkeling is a bonus. If anything comes to mind as far as destinations that fit what we’re looking for, I’d appreciate it. As a bonus, we’re looking to rent a simple 1br place for 2 weeks to a month if we can find something affordable at said location – know of anything to get us looking in the right direction? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Oh - and lastly, the place mut be reasonably affordeable to get to from the US (CO). For example, the Maldives and Tahiti are out, its just prohibitively expensive for us to get there.

American Whitewater's website and river stewardship projects are funded by paddlers. Please join, renew, or make a donation to help us protect whitewater rivers in Colorado and nationwide.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010   #2
Indian Hills, Colorado
Puerto escondido, oxaca. Stay north of town.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010   #3
Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
Puerto escondido, oxaca. Stay north of town.
but Puerto is one of the heaviest waves in Mexico. It is the best beach break in the world. Not friendly intermediate surf at all, unless you go south down the beach to the point... but that can be a zoo full of the 50 dudes who are afraid to paddle out at the beach break.

I spent a whole summer there. It is the kind of place that Surfer magazine shows up at when the swell comes. Photogs on the beach, 100 world class surfers in the water getting barrelled. It is the only place where I have seen fist fights in the water. People fight on the beach too. My friend had to put the hurt on a member of the Puerto Rican body boarding team in the convenience store after the sponger told him not to drop in on him again. People grabbing leashes, dropping in, screaming, deaths by broken neck. It is a heavy place. It is Hawaii without the reef.

I broke 7 boards, cracked a rib, and chipped my teeth during that Puerto summer. It is heavy beach break barrels.

April won't be big so maybe that would be a saving grace but I'd stay far away from Puerto if friendly surf is the goal. Neither the waves nor the 100 hardcore barrel starved surfers in the lineup are very friendly.

but.. Mexico is on the right track. I've been surfing mellow waves in Mex since I broke my neck a while back and my trick is to go to the places that longboarders like... guaranteed to be fun easy waves.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010   #4
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I agree with Ture on this one. Though April won't be big it is a heavy beach awesome wave to surf when your ready but can deliver a big punch if your not ready. Mexico is awesome for what your looking for...maybe check out some places on the baja peninsula. It will be secluded and few if any one in the water.
Active member of Citizens for a Coastal Colorado.
colsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010   #5
Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Playa Guiones, Costa Rica. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010   #6
I second Playa Guiones....& Nosara

Heading there 2day
twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010   #7
Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Troncones/Saliditas, MX. Great guy named Beto that owns a surf shop. He'll basically give you the keys to his shop if he likes you. Good longboard surf in Saliditas. Empty beaches, relatively cheap places to stay and eat. Fly into Zihuatanejo (30 minutes away). This is the trip that my wife and I did last year and we had an awesome time. Beto got my wife surfing also.
MexCalli Surf School: Troncones
Casa Luciernaga - Contact & Reservations Place we stayed

or for more adventure check out Bocas del Toro Panama:
Ojos del Mundo (Gratefuljacobi Rob can give you info on surfing throughout central America) Tell him JD sent you.
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010   #8
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Trecones is also where the last Shark attack was that killed a young surfing in april!
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010   #9
Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
ah yeah..there are sharks in the ocean. That is where they live.
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010   #10
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Really! Sharks live in the ocean?
That place sucks, Mostly beach breaks! no nite life! and the road blocks are all over the place! 6 policemen murdered 20 miles from there last november!
I'd stay away!

ric is offline   Reply With Quote