Old 05-23-2008   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02
Where to go?

Recently moved to the front range after guiding on the Rogue river in Southern Oregon and a couple trips on the MF Salmon in Idaho. My roll is weak at best in a pool so not feeling like trying that out on the river yet. So I am bringing a 14' cat and/or 14' paddle boat and a few experienced friends......somewhere. That is the question now. I'd like to get down to the Ark but I imagine finding a campground this weekend might be tough. Other options are the Poudre, the Blue, or the Upper CO. I did the Upper Blue last year but I would actually like to see the canyon on the lower if everything else falls through.
What are some recommendations? Is camping on the Ark going to be tough? Even if I bring the cold cooler and a warm bottle? So many questions with only one real intent....get on the water!
Also, what are some ideas for a newbie kayaker with a weak roll but a solid wet exit

Geoff773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #2
Indian Hills, Colorado
Camping opportunities will exist within a few miles of the Ark, stop by CKS for recommendations of where to camp, limited on-river camping this weekend, great water, you'll have a blast! Check out the BV and Salida kayak parks to practice your roll with a bunch of boaters who will be glad to help. (PLEASE PUT FLOAT BAGS IN YOUR BOAT SO IT ISN'T A COMPLETE BITCH TO GET TO SHORE!!!) Have a blast! -Dan
p.s. Ark camping opportunities probably more favorable than Upper C, Blue or Poudre.
Finally, little pet peave: Poo responsibly. Either go deep (dig hole) or pack it out (WAG BAG). Too many human poos around campsites these days. Nasty when my big dog Max comes running up with T.P. stuck to the jowels. Whoa buddy, no kisses! little preachy there, sorry...

DanOrion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02
Thanks for the info.
No worries about the poo rant. Mine and my dogs' gets thrown out. Too many people using the area to even make digging a hole appropriate. Besides after a night of PBR who's got time to dig a hole?
Geoff773 is offline   Reply With Quote