Old 02-26-2007   #1
Where to go?

Hey everybody. I'm thinking about cashing it in and heading somewhere to be a raft guide this summer. The question is, WHERE to go? Most of all I'm just looking for a friendly place to go chill for the summer, improve my skills, and spend time on the river. I've been in CO for a while and am looking to head someplace different. I'm a class III/IV kayaker looking to improve. Good mountain biking, fishing, and climbing is also a plus. Any additional info on who to work for, where to stay, how to get it set up, etc. would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #2
You cannot beat the gallatin canyon in Big Sky, MT as a great place to to live and push some rubber for a summer. Top notch river that flows every day of the year and is a real blast between may and july. The gallatin river canyon also has some great rock routes, more than you could climb in a summer if you went every day, and killer biking and fly fishing. If you are a good guy and want to work for two of the finest owners of a raft company anywhere contact Geyser Whitewater expeditions and talk with Eric or Jim. You could not work for a nicer or more honest company. (406) 995-4989

dmarbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #3
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Asheville NC, Chattanooga TN, Chattooga River Georgia......All of these have exactly what you're after and the added benefit of MOONSHINE. One year of kayaking back east is 3 years here.
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #4
I thought it was 7 like dog years. Cherry is best IMO.
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #5
I really enjoyed working In the south for NOC. The Chattooga in particular is a great river to work. Really improved my boating. You usually get a cabin to live. NO TIPS.

However working south, middle, north fork of the American was really nice. Weather is great. Sleep in a tent but does not matter. Boating is great. Tips are WAY better. I worked for a small company called Chili Bar Outdoor Center, very mellow and right at the put in. I do not think that it exists anymore. The primo company if you want adventure, lots of different rivers is Whitewater Voyages or Tributary. South fork is a great place to work on kayaking but working down on the toulome is probably more exciting for guiding.

Just Google the rivers and call companies. Many of the outfitts in the west will require a guide school depending on your experience. NOC just trains you. Other companies on the Chattooga are Wildwater, and Southeastern. Both of the later partied a bit more than NOC when I was there but I think we paddled more after work. That or watched "Simpsons"

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #6
Cody, Wyoming
Hey were needing one raft guide here in Cody, Wy!

We have class 4 whitewater 2 minutes from town from April to October and plenty of other classics within a short drive or afterwork runs, to be honest if you like to boat Cody, doesnt get much better. You can be on the rock or mountain biking single track in less then 5 minutes and the fishing is excellent. Right now i'm looking for a guide who can raft guide teach basic kayak classes and take some fishing trips possibly.

Core Mountain Sports
Cody, Wy

COLDFEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #7
Mad Scientist/Creeker
I've got to second Aaron here. Cody would be a perfect match from what you've described. What Aaron forgot to mention is that as you improve your kayaking skills there is a plethora of WORLD CLASS creeking within an hour or two from Cody.
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #8
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Originally Posted by erdvm1
One year of kayaking back east is 3 years here.
What he said.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #9
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, much appreciated. Right now I'm actually tempted to check out the East, maybe the New.
Aaron, that sounds like a great gig. I'll definitely think about it and contact you if I'm interested, thanks!

Duder is offline   Reply With Quote