Old 06-04-2007   #1
Sidell, Illinois
Paddling Since: 1998
Where to camp?

Never been to Colorado, looking for advise on where to find campgrounds. I'm coming in from the East, probably starting around the Poudre then moving across to Salida and Buena Vista type areas. I'm not saying any place in particular as I've got no mandate to be anywhere in particular. I'm going to follow the water (Class IV+ creeks I hope). Is it best to look at state parks, national parks or are there other good places (BLM area's, conservation area's) where I should be able to find places to camp? Just looking for a place to set up a tent, don't need anything fancy. Is it OK to just throw a tent up somewhere or am I just looking for trouble doing that?

NickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #2
Boulder, Colorado
you will have no problem finding camping around the poudre or the ark, some of my favorite free camping is up the clear creek of the ark. I believe that in national forest as long as you are 100 feet from a road you can camp where ever you want but not positive. I would say don't just put up your tent anywhere be aware of private property as always.

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #3
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
The Poudre has all sorts of sites right next to the river but you got to pay to play otherwise you can go up to the rustic area and go off at the boy scout road across from the rustic lodge (big fish sign) then you can just four wheel it back anywhere off of the trails. the backside of Kelly Flats is one of my personal faves. When I am in the BV area I get the hell out of BV and go to its little and better play friend Salida. On the south end of town right as you pretty much leave the town their is a public land campsite. Not the most scenic but still nice, FREE, port-o-pooper, next to the river and 5 minutes from the play hole.
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
sent a pm, did you get it?
climbhoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #5
Sidell, Illinois
Paddling Since: 1998
Got it. Thanks Adam! Maybe see you out there?

NickB is offline   Reply With Quote