Old 07-29-2005   #21
Running the hair/super hair/gnar
one word- new jersey

MONKEY#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005   #22
Boulder, Colorado
Re: Where the best place to live?

The ones I would look at: (stars= how good the opportunties are for your extracurricular activities )

****a dozen California programs

Lots of good rivers and mountains in California, esp if you are in the eastern part of the state!

****Denver, Colorado

You know the pros and cons of denver!

*Savannah, Georgia

Okay, so there's not so much in the way of boating or snowboarding there, but I LOVE savannah My grandma lived there when I was a kid and it's a great town. mellow, slow paced, and friendly people. Lots of rivers on the other side of the state if you're willing to drive

**Portland, Maine

snow and rivers But be aware all snow on the east is really ice. If it's not on the powder days, it will be in a day or 2. may not be as bad up that far north though, never been skiing there.

**Rochester, New York
**Valhalla, New York

Dunno where valhalla is, but Rochester is close enough to the adirondacks that you can get some good rivers and mountains. See above for snow conditions though!

**Durham, North Carolina
**Winston-Salem, North Carolina

these are central north carolina, a couple of hours from the mtns, a couple of hrs from the ocean. I love north carolina. be prepared for 100% man-made snow if you snowboard there though! There are good rivers in the western part of the state.

****Portland, Oregon

Only passed through but I hear there's year-round boating and long ski seasons too!

*A bunch of Pennsylvania programs

Rivers and mountains, man-made icy snow though. the poconos are where to find most of the ski resorts. Lower, middle, and upper yough are south of pittsburgh, cheat and tygart are a bit further south in north west VA. Lehigh and Delaware are class 2/3 in the eastern part of the state.

***Burlington, Vermont

See comments for maine. plus killington is nearby I think.

****Seattle, Washington
****Spokane, Washington
****Tacoma, Washington

See comments for oregon!

***Morgantown, West Virginia

mountains, rivers galore. Icy snow though! New, gauley, cheat, tygart, and all sections of the yough as well as the shenandoah and potomac too!

Hope that helps!

Camiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005   #23
Where the best place to live?

If you are still reading my vote is for Portland.

For rivers and creeks:
Check out for an online guide with photos.

For play spots checkout:

I am not sure what program you are looking at, but Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU) is strong. I have friends and acquaintances that have moved here for various residency programs at OHSU, Legacy Health System and Providence Health System and they were pleased with their decision.

I have lived here 3 years and love it for skiing, kayaking, Mt Biking and all other outdoor activities. You also have the beach west of Portland and East in the Columbia River Gorge you have World class Wind Surfing and Kite Boarding.

Yes there is a bunch of rain in the winter, but that is why there is insane boating. If I can deal w/ the wet stuff moving here from living on the sand in Newport Beach, CA then most folks who love to boat probably can too.

You can boat all year long w/ great park and play as well as class IV-V creeks and everything else in-between.

Also, from where I live on the eastside I can be from my living room to sitting on a lift in an hour up at Mt Hood. For a bigger Mountain experience, Mt Bachelor in central Oregon is under three hours away near the town of Bend. I am less than 40 minutes away from Bob’s hole and two miles from an easy section of the Clackamas River.

Hope this helps,

KWLARSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005   #24
For the recreational WW paddler, Morgantown WV is the best paddling town in the U.S. hands down. I've been all around and never have I encountered so many different types of rivers and creeks, all quality, in such close quarters. Compared to being out west, you will put half as many miles on your car and you can sleep in a bed every night as opposed to outfitting your rig for the woods. When it dries up you have the Yough, Tygart, and Gauley to keep you wet. You'll find the boating communities are much tighter knit here than in Colorado, but once you figure them out you'll have a hard time leaving.

California has some of the best rivers with wilderness trips being the highlight, though most communities require you to become dedicated to the sport of driving and car camping as much as being a kayaker. Rare is the California boater who gets to boat during the week. It's a different lifestyle than the east or even Colorado, but if you get the chance to live here I wouldn't pass it up. Also, unless you exclusively paddle class V, you'll probably find the boating community in California to be somewhat detached and void of the spirit found at say BTO or one of the Golden community rodeos.

When it comes to the overall whitewater community, Colorado is the most welcoming and tolerant by a wide margin. I don't know why this is, but I'm glad for the years I spent boating in Colorado for this reason above any other.
Hartje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #25
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Go to Oregon. It's the best state for my glaucoma.

I know it was a long time ago..but that rant was hype. I feel bad for los life and there's not even that much cash in it anymore. Does it even matter where you are in the country?

FWIW I'll second CT sucking and VT rocking. ME is pretty sweet, too.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #26
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Send a message via Skype™ to tsavo
go to Alaska

You won't regret something in Juneau, Alaska...or somewhere around Anchorage. The opportunity for some interesting living still exist in Alaska. Besides, people are always needing to be fixed up there.
tsavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #27
I have the only correct answer!

You should live wherever your good kayaking buddy Dave lives! That gives you two possible options in the near future: Longmont CO. or Portland OR.

Call me so we can discuss the Portland idea.

Forget what these other guys say. They do not have your best boating needs in mind when they reply. I am the only unbiased advice you will get on this post...Ha Ha!

ohmmmmmm (sound of the universe baby!)
h2ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #28
I grew up in the south and find it to be excelent living. The people are much more friendly and the chicks are way hotter. Tennessee and Alabama have some awesome whitewater as well as many of the other surrounding states. Not much for skiing in that part of the country but if you like fishing for bass your in.
WAV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #29
it may be cold but it sure is pretty

Hey- just a little plug for the green mountain state. i learned to paddle in vermont- and its not a great place for beginners, but there are just incredibly beautiful creeks (new haven, middlebury, big branch) and a small but great community of boaters. so you have to start the season as soon as the ice breaks- its worth it.
mad river, sugarbush and stowe are only 45 min from burlington, good music, good beer, and good people.
maine (kennebec, dead, seboomac) is a weekend trip away!
it sure beats the front range (do i sound homesick?)
not that you'll have time to enjoy it during a residency (im 2 months into an internship an denver and have gotten out to play only twice!)
hanflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #30
charlottesville, VA. Great town, good paddling nearby, and paddling in WVa is only 3 hours away.

jferrell is offline   Reply With Quote