Old 10-23-2010   #71
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Lucky suckers.. ill be the lucky one in a month big sky exclusive package all 3 resorts.yc,bs,ml. 1/3 isn't bad for such a big industry. To much to read after going boating.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010   #72
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Hey Opus, for every doctor claiming one thing, there's another claiming the exact opposite. Regardless of whether or not my GI tract is built for meat, I enjoy it, and will continue to do so until I die (and will die early if that's what it takes).

I think it's pointless to try and convince people their eating habits need to change to save the planet of anything - water resources or otherwise.

Enjoy your vegan lifestyle, I'll continue to enjoy my steak (just had one tonight in fact)...

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010   #73
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
Originally Posted by mjpowhound View Post
I believe it is now legal to store rainwater that falls on your property for your own personal use in Colorado.
Yes, the law changed last year or the year before.

I've always wondered how many people actually take advantage of that, seems like it'd be a reasonably easy thing to make use of.

As for meat... I've got these sharp teeth in front.... and I plan to keep using them. All for more efficient ways of producing crops/ cattle for consumption, but nothing is going to change in people's lifestyles or the farm industry without legislation.
Discover Denver, stay there!
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #74
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
dog poo

Originally Posted by yak1 View Post
hojo you could last till next season for the apple juice but could you wait until next season for beer?
Also on storing rainwater in a barrel. Please let me see the paper work for your water rights. Sorry that water, by law belongs to the river which belongs to the folks with senior water rights.
In some parts of the west if you head toward the river with an empty bucket you may get shot.
Don't make me put up the pictures of my hard apple cider. So, yes. I DO wait and it's oh so tasty for the trouble.

As for the illegality of storing rainwater, someone else already debunked that one. What I'm most curious about is this: Rather than just simply stating that I may be breaking the law, you used cynical speech in requesting my "paper work." To use your language in return, I see you're real interested in conserving water through your grand knowledge of water law. The fact that you would use such an attitude against conservation saddens me. Finally, I even suggested I wanted to use the water for the toilets. Thus, the water will ultimately be returned to the basin after I pay to have it processed. In the spirit of the law, I'm not stealing. I'm detaining, using, and releasing the water back to the wild from whence it came. Hell, it's probably cleaner than the water flowing across my neighbor's dog-shit riddled lawn and directly in to the south platte when it's all said and done.
On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #75
Lakewood, Colorado
Dog poo is gross but it pales in comparison to livestock poo, which often really does drain directly into a watershed from highly concentrated feedlots. Go to a factory farm and tell me that it's not absolutely revolting.

Another fun fact: Have you ever noticed that when you buy poultry, the label says "may contain up to 8% water"? Have you ever wondered about that? Turns out that after chickens are slaughtered, they're put into a pool where they can soak up "water", which is severely contaminated by everything that comes out of chickens. Then, the sellers can charge you a dollar or three per pound for skanky, disease-ridden water. That is one reason salmonella is so prevalent in chicken. The beef industry has been lobbying hard to get the same right to pump up their meat in this way, but has so far been unsuccessful.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #76
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
I feed plants bat guano... anybody tell me what manure is and used for.. called organics another funny story. Last year the obamas found out after all that hard work on there garden, just to be contaminated by the clintons shit

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote