Old 01-08-2012   #31
OlyPen, Washington
I agree that the poll doesn't allow much other than Yes/No kinds of answers, so it can't yield much useful (and accurate) info.

Another problem with your poll is that "local" is not defined. For example, one of the places I phone-order from is in Colorado but a few hours' drive from me. I'd rather UPS the item than spend a day driving back and forth.

For WW gear ONLY, I buy locally (as in "within one hour's drive") if the item is available (or soon to be), phone or online order if it's not.

For sea kayaking gear, I phone-order from coastal dealers I like who are "local" out of state but not local to me here in Colorado. If I'm there in person, I buy it right at the store. I buy this gear from out of our region because the array of gear and depth of knowledge of shop personnel are much better there, for sea kayaking. However, sometimes REI in the Denver area has something I want, and I will buy it "locally."

H2UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #32
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
I steal all my stuff.

Ha ha, not really. I wait till my local shop puts stuff on sale, then buy. I have bought maybe nose plugs at full retail, and thats about it. I can't believe how nice they are about my sting-y-ness.(Just in case Don reads this)

sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #33
"We feel that our limited marketing budget gets put to the best use possible by doing this, as most of our resources get put back into helping our dealers, or R & D."

That's so weak Jesse. You could easily offer us a calendar entitled "The Ladies of Hood River" featuring a few local hotties wearing nothing but IR bootie shorts...just sayin'. I'm sure you know a few that fit the bill

Oh yeah, polls need to be kept concise for data gathering purposes. Otherwise, as illustrated by all of us, it would be ridiculous to try and compile all the 'other' feedback. But I'm sure it's appreciated by IR none the less - just not Jesse as he never did learn to read.

And to the douche-fag bagging on IR's pro-deal policy, cry me a river. I'm an industry professional and I make a POINT to purchase items at small, locally owned businesses. I do not expect a discount in any way shape or form. If they extend one to me it's of their own doing and I graciously will accept it, if not, I feel good that my dollars are supporting someone as passionate about the sports I love as me...not to mention probably helping to put food on their family and employees tables. And one more thing, Stohlquist - while born right here in the great state of CO - is owned by a Chinese holding company. Enjoy your "pro-deal".
twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #34
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
I was merely posting information about where I buy my gear, from the companies that appreciate what raft guides and kayak instructors do for their business. I love IR gear, it's some of the best in the industry, but I can't afford it so I go with the companies that give me a pro deal. IR would have a more open line of communication with industry professionals if they offered the deal direct. Just my two cents, I didn't mean to "get butthurt." Also, no company has ever asked me not to talk about pro deals. I didn't know it was supposed to be a big secret. I don't scam the pro-deal, I only order gear for myself and am super grateful for the generous discounting.

That said, I buy most of my gear locally from Down River Equipment in Denver. Awesome service, knowledgeable staff, and top notch gear!
The first rule of Pro Form is: you do not talk about Pro Form. The second rule of Pro Form is: you DO NOT talk about Pro Form!

Pretty sure if you read the Rules and Regs for your Pro Form they almost always ask you to not discuss.

Just sayin
jsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #35
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Ten Mile Creek Kayaks in Frisco Colorado is were I do my shopping. Has a great selection of women's inventory, always seems to have fresh designs that I don't see else where. Staff is very knowledgeable and friendly.Sweet shop, cool vibe!!!
kayakchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #36
Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Getting a pro deal is great and all, and you must be wicked bad-ass to get them and turn around to brag on the buzz about it. No pro deal can suck this!

Personally I make enough money in my job to buy a few new things every year, which I get from my local shop(Ten Mile Creek Kayaks). Matty at Ten Mile has always offered me competitive pricing that few can match. I like buying retail to get the service and warranties. Speaking of, Matty has gone above and beyond to make things right if gear is, "faulty."
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #37
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
A small shop with an in store owner always helps. I've seen Matti give someone a boat upfront and then make payments with no collateral, outright give stuff to needy kayakers, and ordered me the exact LL Stomper I want at no extra charge and no deposit.

In Summit Ten Mile Kayak really is the center of the paddling community. Hell, if I need a paddling buddy I bring lunch into the shop and eat it till someone shows. I have yet to finish my food while waiting!
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #38
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Both my boats I bought used and found out about them online. I was picky about having a prijon pure and getting a good deal on it, so that limited where I could buy it.

My first helmet and PFD which I still use, I bought as part of a package, used from the classifieds.

My last two sprayskirts, carbon paddle and most of my other miscellaneous brand-new gear is from Confluence Kayaks. I was looking at their used consignment stuff in earnest, but I just found a better deal elsewhere. When I'm in the market for a brand-new boat though, I will get it from Confluence. They're my neighborhood shop, and I just go there a lot. I am well aware I've paid a bit more for things than I would have online, but the difference in price is usually small.

Bought a drysuit on clearance sale CK online and other misc. gear I couldn't find at Confluence at the time. $450 is hard to beat. I've been to this store in person a few times, when I was at BV. Usually I'm there with other people, and they buy stuff. Great location. Great website, too.

My wooden paddle's from the person who made it in Oregon. If I could get a paddle of this quality locally, I definitely wood.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #39
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
When I lived in Summit, I bought MOST of my gear from Ten Mile Creek Kayaks.
Wear shoes in the Safety first, then teamwork.
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #40
T up
summit co / Tucson az, were im at
Paddling Since: 00
Ten mile creek kayaks!!
Matti has always gone above and beyond to make sure that what im getting is whats goin to work for me. I break everything,helmets,drytops,oarblades,paddles,shoes ,on and on ,Matti does an excelent job keeping me on the water. If you live in the area or if you dont,Ten mile is legit.

t up is offline   Reply With Quote