Mountain Buzz banner

Where do you piss?

5K views 25 replies 24 participants last post by  ZGjethro 
#1 ·
So we're chillin' at the Benches on the Upper C last weekend on a layover day, and the Yarmony Grass float trip swings through. They pull in to set up their floating stage (very nice double-wide (pun intended) raft platform, btw) at our beach. No problem, very respectable organizers, but among the 150 or so people, we noticed everyone who had to piss were finding spots all over the damn campsite. Grrr.

Where I'm from, you tell everyone on your trip to piss in the river. Anyone remember "pollution solution = dilution"? Drilled in our heads by all of the river rangers I've ever encountered.

I have noticed this on just about every trip on the Ark as well. From what I can tell, even experienced boaters are doing this. I've even announced it to groups I've tagged along with. Still didn't matter. Are we all still that uneducated? Or are most just REALLY embarrassed by their small junk?

#5 ·
If they're so embarassed of their small junk (as I am) then tell them to Wade in junk deep! Lol

#10 ·
A couple years ago some of the nazi psycho b lm guys that they brought in for gore threatened to cite us under the clean water act when we pissed in the river at the change rock at the entrance to the canyon. I wonder if this has anything to do with the mentality of the larger companies that might actually listen to those assholes.

btw, no problems with the normal blm guys, just the whack jobs they brought up there a couple years ago.

#11 ·
I don't shit or piss where I eat. I don't have a pot to piss in. I usually go where ever I am. Outside, in the river, the porta potty, the shower, on that Thai girl, or wait was that a lady-boy?

Look before there were rules where did people pee? Where ever they were at the time. Because of that life was grand. Poo and whee wee being dumped in the streets, everyone sloshing around in it. Those were the good ol' days. So lets bring back the days of yore. Now you get a indecent exposure ticket and become a sex offender.

#13 ·
Years ago my 3 yr old son took a leak in cherry creek at the dog exercise area, 11 mile?, and a ranger threatened to give us a ticket because we were contaminating the water. I think my blank stare made him realize what an idiot he was for trying to site us for a 3 year old peeing in a dog park.

Piss in the river or it won't wash away for long time baby.

#15 ·
So I suppose the majority are in agreement. Keep it in the river. OK. Spread the fu#kin' word! You freakin' river guides aren't doin' yer damn job if yer stoopid clients are makin the lunch spots stinky. And private boaters, tell your buds in the front of your raft to whip out their noodle, impress the elk, and give the karmic cfs back to the place from whence it came.

Gentlemen and ladies, dunk yer junk.

Sorry. Damn, this $hit pisses me off.

#16 ·
Well know there is a place for both. In areas of small, pristine creeks, keep it 200 feet away from water sources, and that goes with your camp as well. This comes from Freedom of the Hills leave no trace. In larger flow areas, such as the Colorado, Green, etc. dilution is the solution.

#17 ·
Leave No Trace was cool in the 90's

But since Phish is back on tour maybe it's cool again.

Piss is sterile so even if it is a small, pristine creek you could piss in it and not be a big deal. With #2 it is crucial to make sure it is not in a mini-drainage that goes to a small pristine creek. As they say, you can drink pee but you can't eat poo.

#18 · (Edited)
Piss is sterile so even if it is a small, pristine creek you could piss in it and not be a big deal.
The issue is not so much contaminating creeks with microbes but the fact that urine is loaded with nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorous, etc.) which feed algae and other growth that foul creeks.

Also, there are different rules for different ecosystems. From what I understand, in arid Colorado and other dry environments, the rule is pee in the river, especially in high use areas, because there's not enough rain during the summer to flush the pee down into the soil and water table where bacteria should have a chance to degrade it. This keeps high use areas from stinking like urine.

Its my understanding that in more humid areas, one should go a certain distance away from the river. Maybe the BLM guys Waterwindpowderrock mentions above were from an area where that's the practice.

When in doubt, check with the local managing agency.

#24 ·
The issue is not so much contaminating creeks with microbes but the fact that urine is loaded with nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorous, etc.) which feed algae and other growth that foul creeks.

Also, there are different rules for different ecosystems. From what I understand, in arid Colorado and other dry environments, the rule is pee in the river, especially in high use areas, because there's not enough rain during the summer to flush the pee down into the soil and water table where bacteria should have a chance to degrade it. This keeps high use areas from stinking like urine.

Its my understanding that in more humid areas, one should go a certain distance away from the river. Maybe the BLM guys Waterwindpowderrock mentions above were from an area where that's the practice.

When in doubt, check with the local managing agency.

colorado is high altitude desert thats why you try to piss in the river. when you piss on the ground, the moisture evaporates but the smell lingers until it is well diluted from rains. so in high traffic areas the dirt dosent get enough moisture to dilute the smell. if you cant piss in the river piss on a tree or bush.
as for above tree line you should piss on the rocks because the animals get sodium from your piss and they tare up the tundra whitch takes centuries to recover.

#20 ·
I was just up in the San Juans and this goat just kept following me around waiting for me to pee so he could get some salt (marmots too). I thought it has to be less damaging to pee in 5 cfs Ruby creek than let goats hassle your stuff but I don't know. the sign said pee on the rocks so the goats would not dig up the dirt but they are still annoying as hell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.