Old 08-05-2009   #11
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
I don't shit or piss where I eat. I don't have a pot to piss in. I usually go where ever I am. Outside, in the river, the porta potty, the shower, on that Thai girl, or wait was that a lady-boy?

Look before there were rules where did people pee? Where ever they were at the time. Because of that life was grand. Poo and whee wee being dumped in the streets, everyone sloshing around in it. Those were the good ol' days. So lets bring back the days of yore. Now you get a indecent exposure ticket and become a sex offender.

970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #12
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I will now be pissing in Mrekid's kickass class V kayak.

Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #13
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Years ago my 3 yr old son took a leak in cherry creek at the dog exercise area, 11 mile?, and a ranger threatened to give us a ticket because we were contaminating the water. I think my blank stare made him realize what an idiot he was for trying to site us for a 3 year old peeing in a dog park.

Piss in the river or it won't wash away for long time baby.
Its called a Lurk. Its what the old Norwegians used before we cut em up into two pieces
SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #14
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
I've been known to use the closest Kayak.........
Or in one of their booties. Gives a whole new meaning to bootie beer...
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #15
Farmington, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
So I suppose the majority are in agreement. Keep it in the river. OK. Spread the fu#kin' word! You freakin' river guides aren't doin' yer damn job if yer stoopid clients are makin the lunch spots stinky. And private boaters, tell your buds in the front of your raft to whip out their noodle, impress the elk, and give the karmic cfs back to the place from whence it came.

Gentlemen and ladies, dunk yer junk.

Sorry. Damn, this $hit pisses me off.
4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.
tyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #16
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Well know there is a place for both. In areas of small, pristine creeks, keep it 200 feet away from water sources, and that goes with your camp as well. This comes from Freedom of the Hills leave no trace. In larger flow areas, such as the Colorado, Green, etc. dilution is the solution.
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #17
Leave No Trace was cool in the 90's

But since Phish is back on tour maybe it's cool again.

Piss is sterile so even if it is a small, pristine creek you could piss in it and not be a big deal. With #2 it is crucial to make sure it is not in a mini-drainage that goes to a small pristine creek. As they say, you can drink pee but you can't eat poo.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #18
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Piss is sterile so even if it is a small, pristine creek you could piss in it and not be a big deal.
The issue is not so much contaminating creeks with microbes but the fact that urine is loaded with nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorous, etc.) which feed algae and other growth that foul creeks.

Also, there are different rules for different ecosystems. From what I understand, in arid Colorado and other dry environments, the rule is pee in the river, especially in high use areas, because there's not enough rain during the summer to flush the pee down into the soil and water table where bacteria should have a chance to degrade it. This keeps high use areas from stinking like urine.

Its my understanding that in more humid areas, one should go a certain distance away from the river. Maybe the BLM guys Waterwindpowderrock mentions above were from an area where that's the practice.

When in doubt, check with the local managing agency.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #19
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Dilution is the solution to pollution...pee in the river
SuperCriticalFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #20
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I was just up in the San Juans and this goat just kept following me around waiting for me to pee so he could get some salt (marmots too). I thought it has to be less damaging to pee in 5 cfs Ruby creek than let goats hassle your stuff but I don't know. the sign said pee on the rocks so the goats would not dig up the dirt but they are still annoying as hell.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote