Old 10-09-2011   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Where can I go boating in March?

I'm gonna have some time off in March and am considering taking a 10 day trip somewhere. My thoughts are either going to the southeast--last year I did the Cheoah--or going somewhere more exotic like Peru. I'm not sure about logistics or flows if I do a more remote trip like that. Any insights are much appreciated.

tmcdevit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #2
Boulder, Colorado
I have gone out to cali a few times in march and have never been disappointed, the middle feather always seems to be going and all the northern stuff is running that time of year also, but the southeast will probably be warmer that time of year.

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #3
Cali is probably best bet nationally, but if you aren't afraid of a little skunk factor and if you bring your own crew, you can find some good kayaking to be had in Arizona in early March some years.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #4
Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
March is fun here in Grand county Colorado. We have lots of powder days with Gore canyon and Byers canyon beginning to run. The Ark and the Colorado usually have some water. Minnesota has awesome creeking in March. Cali and the northwest is your best bet. Arizona looks sweet if you can catch the runnoff with some rain. Colorado is the best place to be all year. We have amazing skiing or kayaking everyday of the year.
~Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #5
Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
If the Salt runs it is a great 3-4 run through the Sonoran Desert in March. You could complete your 10 days on the Verde. You need a permit for the salt.
funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #6

If we get snow, NM goods start running mid March or so..
action is the enemy of thought
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #7
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Last March my buddy and I were in Northern Cali when a huge storm hit. Paddled flood stage class 4 the whole week, awesome.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #8
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
For a 100% percent guarantee of water and more run choices then there are days in a month (2 months?)...Northern Ca. would be a great choice. From possible early Deer Ck/Mill Ck overnighters outside of Chico (I did a Deer run in the 1st week of April last year) to the Cal Salmon and the Smith in the NW part of Ca. and the Illinois in SW Oregon, this area would be a great choice for a March river trip.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #9
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I've always kicked off the Spring boating season with a March trip down to Taos. Either the Taos Box or the upper box depending on the crew. Several times we ended up boating in the snow but most times it is nice and warm down below those black basalt cliffs.
kayapelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #10
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote