Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-18-2006   #1
Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Where can I find water in September (within 2 day drive)?

I am planning a 7 road trip for the second week in September. I am looking for some good class 3 or 4 runs. I'm figuring that Colorado will be mostly a bust by then. I am thinking Cali, Oregon or Idaho because I've heard their rivers flow later. Any recommendations?

Right now there is only two of us going so if anyone can get the time off and wants to go search for water with us it should be an ass kickin' good time.

Thanks and see ya out there

teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #2

Gualey- West Virginia- about a 24 hr drive but a blast- lower section class III -IV

nkellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
You might be able to hit Gauleyfest in West Virginia. There six weekends every fall that they release a bunch of water, but I don't know when they start. Sounds like a good party. Not sure about what else is flowing out east in fall. If they happen to get hit by any hurricanes, or even a decent tropical storm, then stuff in appalachia tends to go off.

I'm not sure what you'll find out in Cali, Oregon or Idaho that time of year. Snowmelt is probably dead and fall is kinda of dry out there, so there might not be too much going on. Stuff in the coastal ranges of Cali, Oregon and Washington starts to go again in November / December because of winter rains, but you'll probably be too early for any of that.
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #4
I was thinking slightly shorter days of driving than would be required for an east coast trip, but if that is what it takes.
Old 08-18-2006   #5
Have you though of running laps on waterton canyon for 7 days. I would say if you are hard core you could log about 6 laps per day....
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #6
Indian Hills, Colorado
Poach the Grand! 1 day out, 1 day back. With an adaquate supply of amphetimines you could probably make it from Lees to Mead in about 4 days.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #7
San Diego and Frisco, CO
I too would go to the Gauley, but Lower Kern's working. About 14 hours drive from Colo.
E-mail me for the info
kjohnson at san.rr.com
Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #8
Golden, Colorado
idaho, foo.
bkp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #9
Like the poaching the grand idea. I am hoping not to drive half way across the country for one run I'd like to log 3-5 different river/runs on this vacation. bkp77, any place in particular in Idaho?

Thanks guys/gals, keep it coming
Old 08-18-2006   #10
steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
you can drive to the gauley in about 24 hours if you just stop for gas, coffee and pee breaks. if you make too many stops it willl take longer. the gauley runs 2800cfs four days a week (fri, sat, sun,mon). the first weekend is the weekend after labor day. it goes for six weekends.gauley fest weekend is the third weekend of the season. it is by far the most crowded weekend. a lot of fun if you want to socialize, not much if you are looking for short lines at the play spots. the last weekend is a 2 day release (sat, sun). well worth the drive. during big hurricaine seasons the east coast sometimes gets pounded and there is water everywhere. southern west virginia has several rivers within 45 min drive of each other. the lower new, the new river dries. the lower new is 3-4 and has a huge watershed. it is never too low to run. the dries runs when the new gets above 10,000 cfs. at lower flows the dries are 3-4. the upper, middle, and lower meadow. the upper meadow is a class 4 run. the middle is 3-4.the lower meadow is 5-6. the gauley has two sections. lower is calss 3-4 the upper is class4-5. the about an hour northeast toward richwood there are several good 3-4 runs. the cranberry, the cherry both have several different forks and sections. also the top gauley is near there it is class 2-3 that is the gauley above the lake. most of these runs depend on rain though. the gauley and the new are going to run no matter what. if you see a hurricaine coming up the east coast, pack up and go. a lot of these other rivers will probably run if they get some rain.

rhm is offline   Reply With Quote