Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-21-2006   #21
was scanning thru the flows pages of American Whitewater for several states,jeez the whole country is lookin' pretty bleak.I guess this time of year just sucks.Idaho/wyo looked better than most.

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #22

Hey Tele,

Deadwood Put-in--Deadwood Reservoir (take a left near SF Canyon Put-in).

Take out: 10 miles up the reservoir road on west side of the river.

They just pumped it up to like 1,200. Good overnighter or one-day mission, pick your poison.

On the way, hit the Bliss wave in Bliss, Idaho off I-84 (since you're driving that way anyhow).

Other options: Kootenai in Montana. Park-n-huck combined with the Superwave. Koot at Libby should be betweeen 10,000 and 18,000.

Don't forget about BC: Ashlu, Skook, Thompson.....etc....

Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #23
definitely take st joe off the list. hardly any water and a good 6+ hours north of payette.

no idea where "green canyon" on salmon is. probably nix that one too.
if i'd known it was gonna be that kinda party...
oopsiflipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #24
on your sister, ...
The Green Canyon is on the Lower Salmon. Plenty of water and year round boating. The permit is self issue at the put in. You may want to talk to the BLM for a map of the area for running your shuttle though. There is a guide book for the Lower Salmon too...down river equipment,nrs,ect

For put in/take out info on the Staircase run on the SFP just actually look at and READ the info link I pasted earlier and get a delorme atlas,numbnutz.
tuberslickmysweatyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #25
Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks sweetyballs, I use to ride the short bus to school so don't be mean!

Idaho's USGS site shows St. Joes still flowing and the snow report looks like that area has a little more than average snow pack. I was hoping it would maintain for a couple more weeks because the description of the run sounds sweet!

My partner in this adventure is starting to talk smack about Oregon saying that the rivers there run year round and that Idaho is going to be dead before we get there. What do you all think?
teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #26
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984

San Luis Potosi is typically too big in September, although it just depends on the weather. It's the rainy season, so many of the common runs are blown out & horrendous. I haven't made a trip as early as September, but some friends from Durango made that trip in the early 90's. I remember hearing that Micos had monsterous terminally backwashed holes, and they spent 5 nights on the Santa Maria - think it took them a full day to portage around the Gallinas. (that might have been before that B&B installed the ladders and improved the trail).

I've lately been going at Thanksgiving because the vacation time works out better, but I think the prime time to go is late October when the hurricane season is petering out.

FYI- gas is even more expensive down there.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #27
White R. BC
Durango, Colorado
Lucas, we have the first two weeks in Sept. off and are looking at ID & OR also. Have done several late summer trips to both. One caveat, we did ID late season and after doing S. Boise (never did it before, nice canyon, easy ww) instead of going straight to the Pay, found that they shut the S. Fk down (release from the Deadwood) after Labor Day. Do you know the schedule? Anybody?

ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote