Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-18-2006   #11
Golden, Colorado
the different forks of the payette and the main payette will keep you busy for a while by themselves. if you have a larger boat that can hold minimalist camping gear then look at some of the permit rivers for some 3 day mileage fests too.

if you drive up via j hole for a permit run then you've got the canyon run on the snake too.

bkp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #12
Cody, Wyoming
6-7 hour drive, Shoshone in Cody, Wy Class 3 and 4 sections

COLDFEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #13
Wydaho, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1996

Another vote for the Payettes. Canyon run on the SF is fun III/IV. Staircase is short, but fun as well. Should still have some water in September. Lots of hot springs in the area too. Headed there tonight after work..........North Fork tomorrow!

A couple years ago did Hell's Canyon on the Snake as well, with a jet boat ride back to the dam, for a pretty cool day trip.
dvanhouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #14
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
A few years ago T-Boner and I took a 10-day trip out east in late September and pulled a pretty good hit list -New, Upper Gualey, Upper Yough; then drove to NC and hit Chatooga IV, Green Narrows, Cullasaja, and drove to Russel Fork for the Festival weekend. Very much worth the drive- 7 rivers and 3 travel days.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #15
Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Damn you Flaco! I was all settled on Idaho with a couple runs in Wy on the way through and then you go and make the east coast sound oh so sweet.

When it comes down to it though, I think for this trip I'm lookin to drive less float more. Especially since gas will be 80% of the budget.

Is there a particular Idaho guide book y'all would recommend?

I'll keep you posted as the itinerary develops and again our daring duo would welcome anyone who would like to join us. Anyone being only those who won't need me to baby sit them on or off the river.
teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #16
on your sister, ...
Like all the good guide books...it is out of print. Maybe call around some to local shops but Idaho the Whitewater State by Grant Amaral is what you want to get.

Allaboutrivers.com has basic beta on allot of runs too for a quick fix.

Other Idaho runs to consider would be non permit stretches on the Main Salmon both above and below the permit section. The sections below the permit stretch has tons of road access to Class III to IV. Not too far from the Payette stuff, as well and always has plenty of water.

Good luck with it all.

oh...and americanwhitewater.org

tuberslickmysweatyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #17
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Yeah, that trip is a guaranteed 4000 mile journey. What's that, about $1300 in gas or so? If you have a couple of folks to travel with you, it's somewhat reasonable, but solo....that's an expensive trip. However, W. Virgina alone has so many options.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #18
pretty much the only idaho guide book is "idaho: the whitewater state" by grant amaral. it is a bit out of date and is sometimes not terribly accurate, but i think the payette info in there is g2g.
if i'd known it was gonna be that kinda party...
oopsiflipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #19
Idaho seems the most logical.Keep an eye on the Ozarks.

As expensive as gas is ,and with cheap off season flights,you could fly to Mexico City for $225 take a 4 hr. bus ride apx. $40 to Jalcomulco and hang out on the Antigua,easy access to several runs,kinda the Buena Vista of Mexico,other rivers not far off,beach ,ruins,hot springs.

Costa Rica $298 Guatemala$285 or fly back east save time and gas,cheap flights available ie $99 one way to DC,hit the Potomac and head to WV.

yo Flaco ,how are the San Luis Potosi flows in Sept.?
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #20
Golden Paddling Since: 2005
So after a few hours on the internet I've put together a tentative list, we won't have time to do them all. Some of them I don't have any info other the name, grade and a very vague idea of where they are, but itÂ’s a start. Mostly I picked the ones that American Whitewater said were still running.

In Idaho:
Henry's Fork of the Snake
Boise, S.Fork
**Need Putin/Takeout info and description
Payette - Main
Payette - Staircase
**Need Putin/Takeout info
Deadwood Creek (near the Payette)
**Need Putin/Takeout info
Salmon - Green Canyon
**Don't think it requires a permit but not sure
St. Joes

On the Way back
Upper Stillwater Montana
Shoshone Wyoming

I was looking at some runs in Western Montana on the Clark, Madison and Galletin but couldn't find much info and looking at the list I don't think we'll get to them anyway.

This is what I have so far, most of the info was kind of old so if anyone has current info on any of these or personal experience with the runs I would love to hear about it. Or if you know of other sick sh*t in the area that I have left off.

teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote