Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-20-2007   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
When do things start flowing (and other business)

Hi all. I'm a boater from MN, currently in IN, and will be in CO Springs for the summer. A few questions:

I'm getting to the Springs in mid-may; when do things start rolling? When does the snowmelt usually let loose?

Any after-work runs near CO Springs?

I'm in the market for a new (to me) creeker, but I don't have a lot of spare cash. I have a Phat that I really like, but it's cracked and I don't want to be in some remote canyon and worry about my boat sinking. Suggestions?

What's the easiest way to hook up with other paddlers (aside from a club; I'm covering that ground as well). When I started boating in MN we had a real active message board/club that was receptive to new members; is the same true in CO?

Any other advice?

craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #2
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
The Fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Things get rolling in may, and get hot towards the start of June. I dont know to much about the springs area, but your close to bailey, and if we get lucky again this year it could run all season. Killer play park in Pueblo, tons of creeks everywhere you look around the state. Just keep posting here on the Buzz to find people to paddle with. It seems to be the most used CO kayak site. Good Luck!

Paul the Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #3
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Mr Head...

There is a great club in the springs area (pikes peak ww club or) PPWC.

They have a real outfit with club discounts, good folks and the like. Not a hard core club, but just folks that love to paddle.

Look um up.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #4
Denver, Colorado

I've gotten into touch with PPWC; I'll definately be boating with some of them this year.

Oh, and it's generally "craven" for shorter
Old 02-20-2007   #5
oh yeah
check in with colorado whitewater association (CWWA). they're setting up a schedule of trips (cruises) on class one on through some five (bailey and gore). great place to hook up with a crew and get up on new runs.

danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #6
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
The PPWC is a good bunch of paddlers, they always plan some good trips and their website is a great place to post. After work runs are somewhat limited (comparable to Denver). Pueblo has a fantastic park about 30-45 min. away. The Royal Gorge is 1-1.5 hrs. Very few creek runs that are afterwork do-able.

You'll meet a good bunch of dudes (and a few ladies) if you frequent the PPP. Pueblo Paddlers have a website with frequent posts as well. www.pueblopaddlers.com

You asked about a (somewhat) new creeker. I'd suggest looking for a used Burn, Nomad, Jefe (those may be hard to find). Possibly a mamba or diesel.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007   #7
Indian Hills, Colorado
You asked about good deals on boats. It's not quite a creeker, but the H3 255 on the swap right now is a pretty damn good deal. I paddle a H3 245 and like it very much. The H3 has the saftey features of a creeker and boofs well. On the down side it's hard chined (rock catchers) and requires attention when at the helm.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007   #8
Denver, Colorado

The H3 is a good deal, but I'm looking for something to hit IV/V water with. Right now I've found a CFS, a Topo, and a Huck that I could probably afford, and maybe a Nomad, though I doubt I can afford the last. Any suggestions with those choices?

I'm 5'10", 170, and if I had my druthers I'd paddle class IV boulder gardens all day.
Old 02-22-2007   #9
White R. BC
Durango, Colorado
Craven, welcome to CO. If you like technical Class IV you will love the Numbers on the Ark. Part of the shuttle is above the river and as you drive up from the take out you see beautiful bouldery drop after drop. Pretty water. Not an after work run, prob 2 hrs from C Springs but you might be able to squeze it into a long summer half day.

The Buzz "boaters forum" has a Class V leaning to it. (Colorado boaters are real men who go straight to Class V as soon as they learn to roll.) Not as open as some boards I have used like in Portland or Eugene on trips. Maybe CO needs a class IV site like Colorado Kayakers have done for III boaters.
ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007   #10
pnw, Washington
Boaters of all levels post here. I am one of them. I am not a class V boater.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote