Old 02-21-2008   #1
When did the Dolores Run Last Year???

Does anyone remember when the Dolores ran last year?

With the southern mountain snowpack this winter it looks good for another run!

rsmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #2
Durango, Colorado
Last week of May.

If by "running" you mean cranking up the flows for a day then shutting it down just to strand boaters because the guy in charge is an asshole...

storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #3
Rubber Pusher
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
planning meeting

Bu-Wreck is meeting about this very topic today actually, at least that's what I heard. Hopefully we'll have an idea soon.

A buddy might be working on the Dolores this summer zapping fish. He's somewhat in the loop.
ecjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #4
Damn that sucks. So did they release water on a daily basis? Water one day and no water the next day?

I was hoping to do a longer run from Bradfield to Bedrock if the there was water....

The snow pack is nearly 150% of normal so there should be plenty right???
rsmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #5
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
2005 was a big snow year in the SW also. That year the Dolores ran early. McPhee started releases in April, they peaked in Mid-may and were over by the first week in June.

The McPhee website posts "predicted releases" (or at least they did in 2005) for the year. These give some indication, but are not that reliable. We had a river trip the first week of June that year. "Predicted releases" had it at 2000 cfs for that week until 2 days before our trip, when it dropped to 800 cfs. Every morning at camp we woke up hoping there would be enough flow to get on down and out of the canyon. One day after we were off the river, they "turned off the Dolores".

Bottom line is use the website to get some indication, but plan your trip for May.
Kentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #6
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
McPhee website:

Doesn't look like they have posted 2008 releases yet - later in the spring.
Kentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
2005 was pretty nice, but yeah, I recall the "scheduled" releases not exactly making their schedules. We caught the run when it was spilling about 4,000 to 5,000 in late May and it was really, really fun. I think we took a leisurely 3 days. We also did the upper run that I think locals call the Stoner Stampede. At 5k it was insanely fun.

Here's a picture of some guys in a raft we took at Snaggletooth. It was great just sitting there watching group after group run the drop. I only saw one raft not get it clean, but last minute he avoided a nasty wrap when the river surged just as it was looking like it was about to get dire. I'll add another picture of one of my group on the lead in. Good memories.

PS - you can click on the thumbnails to view them better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snag Raft 2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snag Matt.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	348  

Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote