Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-11-2005   #1
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
When are they gonna %#@$%@$ turn Bailey on?!?!?!

Seriously, Don posted last year and said something to the effect that in the normal snow years, Bailey only runs a few weeks anyway. I blew that off at the time but I'm a little worried. In 2003, we were running Bailey two months earlier than this. Somebody assuage my fears, please.

Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #2
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
i'm not Bailey's biggest fan, so i can't say for sure, but ... since it's such a tightly regulated delivery conduit for front range water consumption, wouldn't it stand to reason that it'll run when denver water users start demanding more water? (i.e. watering lawns) it's been so cool & wet that everything's pretty green as is ...

by the way it is freaking POURING in FC today. buckhorn's on the way up ...

ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005   #3
Littleton, Colorado
I think ToddG got it right. Just as an aside, the North Fork ran well in the last few years because the water board was reticent to muck up the water works at Strontia Springs with the continuing fire residue that was coming down the South Fork. I've heard that Lake Dillon (through the Roberts Tunnel to the North Fork) is actually the source of last resort. Since they are already releasing a bit from Cheesman through the South Fork, it looks like they may be intending on using that catch basin again. We might not see too much of Bailey, Foxton, etc... But, I could be wrong.
cantskienuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005   #4
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
I dunno, I suspect that as soon as Dillon fills they will start releasing, they don't want to give any water to the west slope if they can help it! I was driving past last weekend and it looked to be 15 feet from full...
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005   #5
Ski Patrol
Chill man Bailey is not the greatest thing out there anyway. Funner stuff running on the front range now.
DeLiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005   #6
I heard a rumor that the CWA OR AWA had an agreement with the Denver Water Board to post info on releases from Lake Dillon,at regular intervals.Last year they did this for the Blue around Labor DAY.Anyone know details?
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005   #7
It's true...
The CWWA needs someone to get messages from denver water about releases, then to post them here.

Any takers???
Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005   #8
oh yeah
I have volunteered to coordinate the sharing of information on releases from Lake Dillon through the Roberts Tunnel. The Denver Water Board has made two stipulations in exchange for this information. First, they will not guarantee a given flow through the tunnel. They will only give the “expected” flow. And second, they do not want to be held accountable for the information. For instance, if they predict 350 CFS will be released on a certain Saturday and Sunday and the weather clouds up they may cancel the release. If this happens we can not hold them accountable for the lack of water and we can not call them to complain. Currently, we have no advance notice for releases so this will be a big step forward. And in time we hope that the Denver Water Board will try to schedule releases to coincide with the busiest kayaking days/times.

Feel free to contact me with any questions regarding this matter.

Dan Evans
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005   #9
Great,thank you.When and where will it be posted?
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005   #10
sorry to stray

sorry to stray off topic, but as i'm reading, i notice some negative comments about the baily run.

so my bro's and i are just starting to get going on the IV's, and i haven't read too much into baily as of yet, but whats the deal.

why is it that at least this thread turns up baily to be "not the greatest" and "i'm not too much of a fan" -

the CRC sure shows a crazy pic of the run . . .. .

just fishing for some beta - S

Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote