Old 01-18-2009   #1
Bryson City, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2006
What's your fav river/run?

My boyfriend and I are coming to CO from the Southeast to kayak this summer. We're class IV boaters (creeking and big water) and we have no idea where to start. We'd appreciate knowing anything about your favorite rivers and runs and the best time to run them.

gogorivergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #2
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986

If you'd narrow it down a bit you might get more response.

Most of the sweet multi-day trips require a permit, and the lottery process is a grind. But if you Google the name of a major whitewater river (e.g. Middle Fork Salmon) + river permit, you can get an online application. Feb. 1 is the deadline for most. If you draw, you can pick your company.

For day/play runs you might look at the Trip Planner posts for the high water season last year (late May-early July). More stuff in the north half of Colorado than you can run in one summer.

I think the Poudre (officially Cache La Poudre) near Ft. Collins is a wonder of the world, but I haven't done much else on the Front Range.

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Tons of great class IV in Colorado, I really like the Slaughterhouse section of the Roaring Fork in Aspen. The jets overhead suck, but otherwise it is great. Short high water window late May to early-mid June.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
There are tons of great class IV runs around, my favorites are Numbers on the Arkansas and Slaughterhouse on the Roaring Fork. The RF definitely has a shorter season than the Arkansas though. I would say May and June for Slaughterhouse and May through August for the Numbers.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #5
The next zone, .
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
There are tons of great class IV runs around, my favorites are Numbers on the Arkansas and Slaughterhouse on the Roaring Fork. The RF definitely has a shorter season than the Arkansas though. I would say May and June for Slaughterhouse and May through August for the Numbers.
You can paddle roaring fork water water into early August....

Just have to catch it on its way down Lake Creek!!!!

Upper Lake creek above 1100 or so is my fav and the best class IV in the ark valley...
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #6
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
gunnison gorge is a fun III-IV with great scenery. it has a potentially epic 4wd shuttle and you need to hike down your boat a mile but worth it.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #7
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
If you're in the SW corner of the state....the Upper Animas is friggen amazing. IV-IV+ (A few V's if it's high, but can be portaged). Unbelievably beautiful. Numbers on the Ark is great but kind of short. I think the Royal Gorge on the Ark is pretty just have to pick the right day/launch time to avoid massive raft trains.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #8
Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #9
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Yeah - if you go southwest and you have more than a couple days, you could do Piedra and Upper Animas; that would make for a wonderful week.
But if you base yourself in Salida or Denver, you can cram in more day runs per week. You could run like five different fun things in one week.
In the Ark Valley from Salida, you could hit the Pine Creek section (with or without Pine Creek rapid, depending on your ability), the Numbers and the Fractions, Brown's Canyon and Royal Gorge. Hell of a week.
Or if you base from Denver, you could hit Dumont, Upper Clear Creek, Lower Clear Creek and take a day or two to mess around on the Poudre.
When you get ready to come out, post on here a week in advance with which runs you want to do on which days, and people will volunteer to show you the lines.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #10
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
What everyone else said...may i suggest hitting these towns and goin from there...

a)Fort Collins-plenty of class 3/4 runs on the Poudre
b)Denver area-Upper and Lower clear creek, Dumont, Alto Alto, South Boulder Creek, and Bailey would be right up your alley,
c)Buena Vista(Ark Valley)-Pine Creek, Numbers, Browns Canyon(III+ish),Royal Gorge,Upper Lake Creek
d)Durango vicinity-Piedra for sure, Upper Animas too.(two longer-day class iv runs)
e)Aspen-Slaughterhouse, Castle Creek, Lower & Upper fryingpan.

Damn I wanna go boatin.

FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote