Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-23-2005   #21
what 'bout the future?

i've laughed at lot of the posts on this thread... thanks for the entertainment...

...and i've seen a bit of the a-hole behavior too... i was pretty sensitive to it when i first got to colorado. being a northeast boater, i was used to a smaller boating community where everyone knew each other and everyone looked out for each other not just because of etiquette, but also out of friendship. we also never had the benefit of playparks...nor did we ever have to practice much eddy etiquette since there was always enough space...

the boating community in co is huge...and was intimidating at first. it's true that almost all boaters i've come across in co are great people...laid back and fun loving with a genuine respect for riverlife...even if the community doesn't have the same small feel that the boating community in connecticut had.

my question is (and it's partially rhetorical)... isn't this problem of etiquette, a-hole behavior, and crowding only going to get worse?

there are more and more people in co everyday and more and more of them are boating...and the rivers aren't getting any more plentiful... paddling is becoming a common sport....and getting more common everyday... how many years until i need to get up at four in the morning so i can paddle in peace? or at least not share the eddy with twenty other boaters...a-holes or not?

just wonderin'. sorry for the doom and gloom. c

casy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005   #22
Fort Collins/GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

I'm moving to Bozeman

adrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005   #23
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
hey casy76 -- the only crowds i've dealt with all year have been self-imposed. we rolled up the poudre with at least a dozen friends the other night .. but that was the plan. apart from that, we've been pretty much the only group on the creek every trip. you just gotta venture out of lemming zone. i guess if you hang out at whitewater parks, you should just expect to share the lineup w/ a crowd. you're in effect going to a place where a municipality says "go kayaking here". best to treat it like driving on I-25.
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005   #24
Its getting so crowded out there even my play hole had a lineup the other day... :P

"My Wave, Go Home" "Locals Only"
Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #25
student, slacker, nose picker, ski boot fitter/fly fishin' guide
I can't stand hangin in the eddy at lyons anymore... guys like T.horton hoggin the hole.. throwin' those mcnasty-space-godzilla split-helix-wheel-loop things all over the place.. aren't you supposed to be at home for dinner??! Dayyumm Biatch!
And the that k2boater guy... never sharin his 40.. or pizza..WTF?

It'd be alright if the vibe there was good.. everyones all quiet and angry lookin'. I'm stayin in golden...
chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #26
I've got that 1sqf of water dialed biatch, that shizzle is mine. I cant understand why redbull wont return my calls...

THorton is offline   Reply With Quote