Old 11-21-2004   #21
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Jesus, shut up ya whiny bitches. let this post die already. I know gapers girlfriend and she's a helluva lot cooler than any of you ladies who sit around here and complain about what someone says on the friggin net. Plus shes gotta fine ass! Please dont be offended Ash (as if shes cares).

FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004   #22
Dear Mountainbuns,
Thanks for your post, I appreciate when women bring issues like this to people´s attention. As you mentioned, there is a huge problem with awareness, thanks for trying to make people more aware!
Now, I am about as feminist as they come, and I am a bit hesitant about asking this because I don´t want to take away from your argument, but ¨mountainbuns¨? Seems like a name like that may be self-degrading. Aren´t we trying to get people to stop objectifying women and start respecting them?...what are you getting at with the name?

darcyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004   #23
Here's the story on my handle...

I was out with a bunch of friends about a week ago and one of them brought up this post... and he said he thought the subject of the post and my handle were contradictory, just like you have brought up. I see your point. I must say I hadn't ever thought of the handle as objectifying... just a goofy play on 'mountainbuzz' and a story that makes me laugh. Guess "buns" doesn't seemed degrading or suggestive to me, just funny.

I realize everyone draws their own lines - what's acceptable/funny versus offensive/violent. I posted because some recent posts were just poor- the worst ("passing your gfriend around the hottub," etc) even allude to rape. I also sensed that some guys didn't realize how referring to women in derogatory terms makes many women feel insulted. I wouldn't define myself as a hard-core feminist, but being thoughtful is important to me.

I'm glad you asked. Re-reading the thread I linked to above was a nice reminder of the great people I've met paddling and on this board...

mountainbuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #24
Hello Claire,
This may be more fun and appropriate via e-mail, but since at this point that is not a possibility, I´ll continue through mtn. buzz. The story of the handle ¨moutainbuns¨ certainly does make it more innocent. My first thought, however, on reading that title, was that is just invites the kind of mindless sexism that you are criticizing. It is a sad reality that this sort of sexualizng happens, but the truth is, mountainbuns on a kayaking sight brings to mind ditzy shuttle bunnies and daisy duke shorts. I hear that you are a phenomenal kayaker, not a nice pair of buns that writes posts on mountain buzz!

By the way, Theodore Roosevelt was one of the greatest sexists of our times. In his quest to actualize his own masculinity, he could think of nothing better to do than put down the female portion of the population and try to squash out any ¨feminine¨ qualities of his great society.
(check out Manliness and Civilization).
What did you get your Ph.D in?
Old 11-29-2004   #25
Old 11-29-2004   #26

"what did I get my PhD in?" .... apparently not womens history!!
I don't know a thing about TRoosevelt except that David had quoted him, and its an inspiring quote that David lives in a big way.

Again, I can see your point and it had not really occurred to me that "mountainbuns" was suggesting what you said. But as you and my other friend have mentioned it, maybe it is time for mountainbuns to retire.

Just got my PhD in ecology - specifically aquatic ecology and fisheries. 10 years ago while working as a raft guide on the Ark I decided I wanted to study and protect these amazing rivers that we love.

On a separate note (and it sounds like email is unavailable to you so I'll continue here) I see that you are working in Ecuador? I am planning to travel in the coming months and have been considering Chile, Argentina, and Costa Rica. I'll most likely be traveling alone, with very basic spanish skills, and wanting to paddle some. I could maybe paddle a week with an outfitter/guide but otherwise will need to do it on my own due to finances. How is Ecuador in Jan/Feb? Random people to meet and paddle with down there? Any recommendations?

Thanks for the good conversation and any info on this other stuff!
Old 11-29-2004   #27
Salida, Colorado
I am so verklempt!!!

Here let me give you a amongst yourselves:

Crested Butte! Where the men are men and so are the women!

No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004   #28
Hey Claire,
January and February are both great months to paddle in Ecuador. Both months are during the ¨dry¨ season so you are much less likely to be shut out by high water. Low water is NEVER a problem here, but high water sometimes is, so paddling during the dry months is definetely important. There are some amazing runs down here!
My e-mail is if you want more information...Ecuador is a paddling mecca!
Sorry about the Ph.D comment, it was a sadly misplaced friendly question!
Old 12-04-2004   #29
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
EASY BIG CHOP!!!!!!1 crested butte is graced with beautiful and healthy gals......they'll work you on a bike, skis or maybe even in a boat!!!!hehehhahahhehehhahahhehehhahahhhehahhahheh hahah

milo is offline   Reply With Quote