Old 05-08-2006   #1
whats up with the poudre flows?

just wondering about this 'wild and scenic' river...are they letting water out of joe wright reservoir or long draw? i guesss that this river isnt such a free flowing stream. it looks like it just got cut for a bit, were they just making room in reservoirs upstream for incoming snowmelt? and more importantly when will they turn it back up a little

flounderbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #2
Fortunately (& unfortunately), the 'flow' is not necessarily indicative of what is actually flowing above Filter Plant.
This 'wild and scenic' river could be having water pulled out just below the Bridges Take out. (which is my guess).
They could have turned off Joe Wright, but with people having run Joe Wright yesterday evening, I don't think we would have seen that quick of down turn.
Which is why we have to rely on the Rock Report to give us a visual.

JJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #3
Steamboat, Colorado
Yo flounderboy, the bulk of our water's been coming from Chamber's lake (i.e. Joe Wright creek) these days. My guess is they started pulling water from one, or both, of the diversions below BTO, leaving us with roughly 2ft (pine view gauge) on the main runs. Just guessing here.

Regarding the wild and scenic designation, I believe that's for the Poudre River and the South Fork, not Joe Wright. The main stem of the Poudre starts in Rocky Mtn Natl Park at Poudre Lake, and is free flowing from its headwaters to basically the mouth of the canyon.
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #4
Frenchy or JJH,

You think the rock is actually still around 2 for today? the flows reading is wrong?

Whiskey's for drinkin' and waters for fightin'
- Mark Twain
wycoloboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #5
Mad Scientist/Creeker
The flow readings not wrong Walter. You're just an asshole.

As previously mentioned the gauge reading is below numerous diversions, in particular the dam right below BTO which takes water to Horsetooth. There could easily be 2 ft still in the canyon. Point is you can't tell shit from the gauge sometimes.

P.S. How was Joe Wright flowing?

RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #6
I didn't do it, but I hear medium-low.

Not nearly as sweet as the Brazos! How did that go? Glad a shuttle worked out and you were able to run most of it.
JJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #7
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
please post some beta on flows if someone makes it up to joe wright
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #8
Steamboat, Colorado
Hey Joe.. Joe Wright was at a Medium-Low level yesterday. Ran from the Laramie River bridge rapid down to Aspen Glenn campground. We did move a log that was guarding the entrance to the boulder garden section, below Carnito. Everything else was good to go, just wishing we had a little more water. Watch for moving wood as the water rises - there's plenty of it (wood) around..

Also, check this post for new wood in Spencer Heights:

Planning on removing the wood in Spencer later this week and will post again then.

Have fun, and be safe!
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #9
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Sign up for the rock report that comes via email. It's not wrong and has reliable people sending the posts out. For example, I touched the rock today and it was 1.9ft.

PS. Evan, we're headed up to Joe and Spencer later this week.

GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote